"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove View Post
My family likes to eat beans and rice. We switch up the colors of the beans a bit. Mostly black, red and pinto. The end result almost always tastes about the same though.

How to I go about sprucing up the tastes and flavor of recipes based primarily on beans and rice? I need more recipes!

I usually add salt, pepper, garlic and onion to the beans. About 75% of the time I'll add either chicken or pork pieces. We still want beans and rice but we want more flavors.
For a quick change to your regular bean recipes I'd try using different ethnic spices and herbs you won't get bored with the beans and rice that way.
For example I love Mexican flavors so I use Mexican oregano, cumin, chile powder, garlic and cilantro. Try this if you like these tastes. Or if you like Italian try using basil, oregano, garlic, bay leaf.......Give it a try and see what happens. Also there is a brand of rice in health food stores and in some grocery stores called Lundburg or Lunburg. Check out the package ingredients. They offer great variety of rice like wild and brown and different varieties that you don't always see in most markets. Good luck, now I must try something new too this weekend. You have my mind spinning! Happy Summer what is left of it.
Geri_berry

Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

beans and rice together make a complete protein and are very healthy. One can live on them. I love them also. In your post you don't say whether you are vegetarian or not, or living on a tight budget. Silly to send out recipe ideas which don't help your food intake needs.

Red chili versus green chili will give you different flavors. beef versus pork or types of beans.

I like a green chicken chili with white black eye and garbanzo beans. My red chili with beef or mixed red meats has pinto & black beans and black eye peas. Red beans and rice I'm sure you know a recipe for, and Indian curried chick peas is wonderful.

So let us know how we can best help with recipe ideas. You have a few great ones here already.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I would definitely invest in Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen for some advice on changing it up... its as simple as changing the sauce.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
beans and rice together make a complete protein and are very healthy.
The whole complete protein thing is based upon early research and is untrue. It is true that vegetarian proteins do not contain all essential amino acids. It is also true that vegetarian sources must be combined to attain all amino acids. But it does not have to be at the same deal, same day, etc. The truth is that it simply takes a varied diet to achieve the necessary protein. Its really not that hard.

Also, beans are very very healthy and very very tasty. =)
Old 08-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Cook

You could also try "366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans & Grains" by Andrea Chesman.
I'm reading her book "The New Vegetarian Grill". So far, SOOOOO good!

It's hard to get beans into my kids, and I'm always looking for new ideas....

LOL, Scotch!!!

Tags
None