"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Master Chef

Oh, dear, today is a Spanish saint's day; Salvatore. Paella for everyone!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Claire,

Good Morning once again,

Yes ...

Saint Joseph, and here in Spain it is San José, and Monday a legal bank holiday FATHER´s DAY ...

It is also quite an interesting festival in Valencia, Castellón and Alicante all on the east coast of Spain, called THE FLAMES OR THE FIRES, LAS FALLAS in Valencian.

The general celebration is that the craftsmen, have worked almost a year on cardboard, wood and wax statues of varying themes, traditional and political of today´s world, and the children participate too ... They parade through the varying main streets of this region and in rural villages or hamlets too ... then, on MONDAY 19th, at 12am they burn the statues ! and they display fireworks and light firecrackers ... NOISY however, the statues are amazing. Each year, the Government Board selects several of the Childrens´ to place in the MUSEUM CALLED : EL MUSEO DE LAS FALLAS in VALENCIA ...

Thanks for posting.
Margi.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
Executive Chef

How do you prefer your paella Claire ? There are over 1.000 recipes from which to choose !

I like Caldoso, which is like a shellfish boulabaisse with arborio short grain rice in a boulabaisee texture of this type. Of course, lots of saffron threads too ...

Margi.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Nice pasticio Margi congrats
it is the way greeks bake it

they just add grated yellow cheese inside the beshamel sauce together with egg yolks and nutmeg

and they beat the egg whites and add them into the bowl with macaroni before assembling the dish. So pastitcio will stay compact and easy to cut like a pie.

plus authentic greek moussaka is made of fryed or grilled eggplants and meat sauce with bechamel sauce on the top. all the rest recipes with potato, zuchini or carrot layers are just a delicious version of the original recipe.

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Good Morning, Souvlaki,

Firstly thanks for the compliment.

I had mentioned, I love the Hellenic regional cuisines ... After Italian regional, is Greek regional ...

Unfortunately, there are not many fabulous Greek restaurants in Madrid Capital ...

An Argentinian colleague had suggested one to me, Delfo´s in the centre of the city, and we plan to go over when we return to check it out ...

Over the years, I have learnt to prepare the basics of the ancient gastronomy.

I had written an article 3 years ago on all the Greek restaurants in Madrid, as I had been to an event at the Greek Embassy and the Ambassador invited me to a Greek Lunch and showed me Greek Evoo´s, wines, products A to Z, Cheeses, desserts, so I had an amazing tasting ... he also introduced me to a Chef from Athens, who studied under Ferrán Adriá who I have interviewed three times over the years, the genius of Molecular in Barcelona.

The Vet is biased, however, he told me that my Moussaka was better than a restaurant´s we had been to ! He is a " fan " ...

I have to look at your recipes ... I love Shrimp Saganaki ... I was given the recipe by a Greek woman, in Santorini, who passed on ... Her husband may still have the Tasca ...

Have a lovely Easter.
Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Happy Easter Margi :)

thanks

Per aspera ad astra
Souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Soulvaki,

Oh yes ... thank you for the Greek bechamel ... I shall be able to get the Greek cheeses ...

Next time I prepare it, I shall follow your suggestion ...

Grazie.

Margi.

Tags
None