"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Half Baked

Green mac n cheese for St. Patty's help

I make a great mac but mine is more a traditional baked casserole type. That is not what I am looking for. I want a very gooey mac with american cheese that I can swirl some basil pesto into and still keep it green and gold. We are going to a party with alot of kids and the traditional meal isn't always the biggest hit with them.

Anybody make a gooey no bake mac and want to share?

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My mac 'n cheese is usually baked, but I don't see why you couldn't use the same method for your St. Patrick's Day idea. Make the recipe in a large saucepan, then pour it into a 9x13 baking dish. Swirl the pesto in and you should be good to go. If it needs reheating, I don't think that would affect the appearance. If you really think it needs more creaminess, add some cream cheese. Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree. Green food coloring would work to sub for the pesto too. Just use your same mac and cheese recipe on the stovetop. Velveeta would also add the right degree of goopiness.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I think pesto has a few problems. It doesn't stay bright green when it gets warm so it'll probably turn brown before too long in the mac I'd think. The other thought is that the pesto would separate with heat and make the macaroni and cheese oily, and a green oily ring could make its way around the edge of everyone's macaroni on the plate. If it were me and I wanted the pesto flavor I'd make it myself, nix the oil, use a little water and bring it together with gum and a touch of lemon juice. I also think spinach pesto would taste better than basil with yellow cheeses. Just some thoughts.

Or am I misinterpreting the question and you live in Washington or Colorado???
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #5
Master Chef

Dry spinach pasta might be a good choice for this.

I would also try boiling the macaroni in water colored with green food coloring. If you don't want to use food coloring then I would try whizzing a package of frozen spinach in the blender and adding that to the macaroni cooking water.

I would try a small test batch before the big event to see if the color is even.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
Sous Chef

^^^^ I was going to offer the exact same suggestions but then I thought the green pasta may look odd in a sea of white-yellow cheese sauce. Probably less green looking by then. You'd have to use a LOT of food coloring to get the pasta green enough I'd think. Also never seen any spinach pastas that would work for mac and cheese that I can remember. Most extruded pastas I've seen are regular old semolina but to be honest I never look at them that closely so it may be possible OP can find dried spinach extruded pasta that will do well with macaroni and cheese.
But I also think successful macaroni and cheese has a cheese sauce that clings to and flows into the pasta shape so if the OP made a good mac and cheese then theoretically the green pasta would be barely noticeable with cheese sauce all over it.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I agree with your premise to serve mac and cheese. Kids and adults should both like this. I have to agree w/ Aunt Bea and No Mayo using spinach pasta and a spinach pesto. We served traditional pesto as a spread. Kids did not like it. It depends on your audience. While these were young to older teenagers, they had not had this before. Had to give them credit for at least tasting it. A spinach pesto is more mild and kids may like it better.

I am trying to figure how to make "Leprechaun Legs" for St Patrick's day.
A local pub regularly has these on their Appies menu. Tempura battered deep fried green beans. I can't hold the beans til serving and expect them to be crisp. I;m thinking switching recipes to twice cooked Szechuan flavor and borrowing the name.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe tint the cheese green instead of the pasta.

I agree about the pesto, kids might not like it.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I would forget about adding pesto or spinach. Unless you know for sure that the recipe you'll be using for kids includes pesto or spinach and they love it I would go some other route. If you usually use yellow cheese, use white and color it green. Add green food color to the water and make the pasta green. Sounds like a fun project. A couple test runs might be fun too.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm wondering how much food coloring you would need to get the cheese to turn green enough to be noticeable. With all the talk about dye sensitivities these days, I try to stay away from things with dye in them, at least in large quantities. I am more in favor or using something natural, like someone suggested whipping a green vegetable in the blender and adding that to the cheese sauce. In that case it would have to be a vegetable that didn't have a strong flavor that would turn people off. Or you could cook the vegetables to the point that all the "flavor" is cooked out. Then they would definately be mushy enough to blend into the cheese.

Tags
cheese