Hand Made Gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They keep excellent! That's all I use anymore. No problems with freezer burn. I think the ones I buy are Gia Russo.

All this talk about gnocchi had me making some this morning. I decided to have Spring Vegetable and chcken soup with potato gnocchi for lunch. Question: to freeze the rest, do I cook them first, or freeze them and cook them when I want to eat them?
Frozen them before to cook them. Make sure to do not put too many gnocchi in every bag and make it flat in the fridge, or you will have a gnocchi ball :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
My favorite way to season gnocchi is:
burro e salvia
Warm some butter in a pan, when it melt down add sage leaves and fry until they become crispy (careful they burn easily). Add to gnocchi and enjoy....nice and easy!

My second favorite is gnocchi alla sorrentina, typical of Southern Italy:
Pour oil in a pan and add garlic, after 1 minute add tomato sauce and salt, cook for 5 minutes.
In a single portion clay dish (you can use a simple small silver "tray" for baking) put gnocchi, the sauce and sliced mozzarella. Bake it for 10 minutes.

Some of the store-bought are not frozen. I have seen them in Aldi's in the noodle aisle. They had gnocchi and tortellini. I have had the tortellini but not the gnocchi. I don't know how they keep without being frozen. Probably lots and lots of preservatives! The tortellini were delicious.

I buy the standard boxes of pasta. But every so often I want to go back to my childhood and head for the refrigerator pasta like the Noni's made when I was a child. And in there they have the freshly made gnocchi. :angel:

Some of the store-bought are not frozen. I have seen them in Aldi's in the noodle aisle. They had gnocchi and tortellini. I have had the tortellini but not the gnocchi. I don't know how they keep without being frozen. Probably lots and lots of preservatives! The tortellini were delicious.
Why would they need preservatives? Other pasta is just dried.

The stuff I have seen with lots of preservatives is the "fresh pasta" in stores.

Why would they need preservatives? Other pasta is just dried.

The stuff I have seen with lots of preservatives is the "fresh pasta" in stores.

I just looked at the back of one of my packages of Gia Russa gnocchi and you wouldn't eat it. There is all kinds of stuff in there. Of course, there might be all kinds of stuff in the frozen, too. I don't know.

Typically when there is moisture present you need preservatives. That is why (for instance) the bacon I make needs refrigerated, but the bacon they made way back when doesn't. No moisture.
The "fresh" gnocchi is the vaccum sealed package are soft, not hard like boxed pasta.

I just looked at the back of one of my packages of Gia Russa gnocchi and you wouldn't eat it. There is all kinds of stuff in there. Of course, there might be all kinds of stuff in the frozen, too. I don't know.

Typically when there is moisture present you need preservatives. That is why (for instance) the bacon I make needs refrigerated, but the bacon they made way back when doesn't. No moisture.
The "fresh" gnocchi is the vaccum sealed package are soft, not hard like boxed pasta.
Ah, I thought you guys were talking about dried gnocchi.

I wonder why they don't have dried gnocchi... Too thick?
I Googled dried gnocchi. I got to some forum where someone was asking about it. Someone else tried and said they weren't as big and they were very dense. He did however say that homemade, dried gnocchi held up to frying much better than fresh ones and that he would dry half his gnocchi in the future 'cause they were really good fried.

I grew up using cottage cheese in lasagna. Never new about ricotta till I got out on my own. I like ricotta and use that in my lasagna, often if out And I don't want to go to the store cottage cheese is use with good results.
I also use cottage cheese in my potato and cheese perogies

I have never liked ricotta. But I used to eat cottage cheese as a kid all the time. I wonder why I stop? I am going to have to get back to it. :angel:

that baked dish just looks too good to pass up.
we have a fresh pasta section in the market, never looked before - but did.

found Rienzi brand, ingredients: rehydrated potato, wheat flour, potato starch, rice flour, salt, lactic acid E270, sorbic acid E200, natural flavor.

with a best by date of Dec 2014. as 'preservatives' go, those are pretty mild!

Back
Top Bottom