"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hand Made Gnocchi

Hello folks, my name is Emilio and I'm new to this community.
As my 1st thread I would love to share with you my gnocchi recipe, as my mother taught me many years ago....
All you need is:
800g/1 kg potatoes
1 egg
salt
About 350 gr flour
1 hour of time

The first thing to do is to prepare the potatoes: wash them and, without peeling them, put them in a pot with salted water and let them boil (for making potato gnocchi I recommend you use the floury potatoes red). When they became soft enough, still warm, peel them, mash them and put them on a well-floured worktop.

Add a pinch of salt, flour and knead until you obtain a firm but soft at the same time dough.
At this point add an egg and continue to knead until the dough is compact and without lumps.
Note that the amount of flour needed is very sensitive to the potatoes variety used, so if the mixture is still too sticky and wet add some other flour.
Now Divide the dough into balls the size of a fist, then start rolling them on the table to obtain the strands with a thickness of 2-3 centimetres.
Begin to cut your gnocchi and put them down on a surface or a floured tray.

To give gnocchi their typical shape, if you don't have a threaded board as the one shown in the picture, you can use a fork. Just press each gnocco on its back and let it rolling on it.

Let stand your gnocchi for 15 minutes, then cook them in a pot with enough salted boiling water and drain when they will rise to the surface.
Prepare the seasoning that you like and dress your gnocchi.

Enjoy your gnocchi!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gnocchi_patate_2_ric.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	21137   Click image for larger version

Name:	gnocchi_patate_3_ric.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	21138  

Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Well written and displayed.
Thanks for the recipe.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Great post thanks for sharing, hope to see more of your pasta dishes.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Well thought out. Try baking the potatoes, peeling them while they are still very warm and then putting them through a ricer. I think you will find your end product will be much lighter.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Proud American

Mamma does this! But she bakes the potatoes, as Craig suggested.

I'm not brave enough to try it alone yet.

With love,
~Cat
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well written and displayed.
Thanks for the recipe.
indeed.
ricette toscane - mangiardivino
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I'm very glad you like my recipe, if anyone try to follow it, please let me know the result!! Buon appetito!!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I would also like to hear how you prepare them for serving.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. This is a fun place to be. Lots of laughs and plenty of help when needed.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

What is the "thread board" and what does it do to gnocchi?

Tags
egg, flour, potatoes, recipe, salt.

Hand Made Gnocchi Hello folks, my name is Emilio and I'm new to this community. As my 1st thread I would love to share with you my gnocchi recipe, as my mother taught me many years ago.... All you need is: 800g/1 kg potatoes 1 egg salt About 350 gr flour 1 hour of time The first thing to do is to prepare the potatoes: wash them and, without peeling them, put them in a pot with salted water and let them boil (for making potato gnocchi I recommend you use the floury potatoes red). When they became soft enough, still warm, peel them, mash them and put them on a well-floured worktop.[IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21137&stc=1&d=1398090213[/IMG] Add a pinch of salt, flour and knead until you obtain a firm but soft at the same time dough. At this point add an egg and continue to knead until the dough is compact and without lumps. Note that the amount of flour needed is very sensitive to the potatoes variety used, so if the mixture is still too sticky and wet add some other flour. Now Divide the dough into balls the size of a fist, then start rolling them on the table to obtain the strands with a thickness of 2-3 centimetres. Begin to cut your gnocchi and put them down on a surface or a floured tray. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21138&stc=1&d=1398091069[/IMG] To give gnocchi their typical shape, if you don't have a threaded board as the one shown in the picture, you can use a fork. Just press each gnocco on its back and let it rolling on it. Let stand your gnocchi for 15 minutes, then cook them in a pot with enough salted boiling water and drain when they will rise to the surface. Prepare the seasoning that you like and dress your gnocchi. Enjoy your gnocchi!:chef::chef::chef::chef: 3 stars 1 reviews