"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Master Chef
I didn't even think about the lime juice.

That seems like way too much.

Rather than experiment on the whole batch of beans .....

I'd take 2 cups of beans and add 1T of cumin, 1t of salt and 1T of lime juice.

If that tastes good, then covert it to 32 cups by multiplying by 16. That would be 1 cup cumin, 5 1/2 T of salt and 1 cup of lime juice.

I probably would add even more cumin, but that's just me. I still think you seriously need more flavor from oregano, garlic, onion, pepper and possibly cilantro, though. Beans with just salt, cumin and lime juice strike me as fairly one dimensional, flavor wise.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think everyone gave you good advice on proportions. Starting out with less will always allow you to add more.

When I make my black beans I basically add the ingredients for a pico de gallo also. So, along with my beans I have salt, pepper, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, chopped fresh jalapeno, spring onion, and chopped tomatoes. Or I just make a pico de gallo and put on top of the beans on each plate. When I cook my beans I cook with some carrots and dried red peppers, and of course a smoked ham hock - but sometimes I leave the ham hock out if I just don't have one handy.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
Sous Chef
This is 2 gallons of beans if someone needs a picture. I would think it needs some garlic, a bit more salt and the cumin isn't really that far out of kilter. And maybe a soupcon of sugar. And a bit of cooking. For the lime juice, what does it taste like when it is all together? That is the answer--and particularly, what does it taste like ON the taco. Bloody Mary mix tastes entirely different from the finished drink.
Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #14
Sous Chef
When we prepare black beans over here, we always start with a sofrito;
fry together a little onion, garlic, bell pepper, mild chile pepper and tomato. Then we add the beans. DRY, not cooked, cover with water and continue cooking until the beans are soft.Salt is added last, although if you were to add cumin, I'd add it to the sofrito to begin with. Just before serving, season with salt, pepper, a tsp of sugar, and abundant chopped cilantro. If you want to add lime juice, add it at this moment.

Since I don't work with anything except metric, I can't help much on the cups/gallons/etc., but from lots of experience working with spices, I can assure you that while 1/2 tsp of cumin, for example, is fine for 1 cup of beans, this formula does not necessarily mean 5 tsps of cumin for 10 cups. Some spices need to be used sparingly , so you may find you need a lot less cumin. I find this very true with turmeric, too. Do what the other posters have advised and add the cumin bit by bit, starting with half the quantity.

tell us how it worked out!

cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote