"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Additional information a can of cream of mushroom soup is 10.5 ounces.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all!

Actually, 4 tbsp sounds like an excellent starting point, based on:

10.5 oz soup + 10.5 oz water or milk = 21 oz or 2.6 cups

Allowing for some solids in the soup not present in plain liquid, the amount suggested for 2 cups of water is 1/3 cup or 5.3 tbsp.

Not wanting to add another variable trying to do this in the microwave, I ordered an 1100 watt hot plate and a saucepan.

I should be able to try this by the weekend.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input.

NRA Benefactor Member
Mike1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Head Chef

There is a dish made by both sides of the family. One side makes it sweet (sugar, fruit), the other side makes it savory (salt butter, broth).
Mocnik--slovanian
Recept - Slovenian porridge – Mocnik

It is pronounced 'Mooch-nick'. The mushroom cream-cream of wheat sounds very similar.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Master Chef

I would make the cream of wheat first, to get the texture right, and use milk as the liquid. Very little seasoning would be required as the soup has enough salt in it. Make the cream of wheat a little runny by adding extra milk after it's cooked. Then add the cream of mushroom soup.

Trying to add just the right amount of the farina (cream of wheat) to the soup is trick as not all of the water in the soup is available to the farina. Much of it is bound into the starches used to thicken the soup. By making the farina first, you are assured of the proper texture, and you can remove some of the hot cereal if needed so that you can control how much goes into the soup. The ratio of soup to farina can more easily be controlled to get the results you're looking for. You might also add some sliced celery to your recipe to add more flavor, but again, not too much, maybe half of a stalk.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I would make the cream of wheat first, to get the texture right, and use milk as the liquid. Very little seasoning would be required as the soup has enough salt in it. Make the cream of wheat a little runny by adding extra milk after it's cooked. Then add the cream of mushroom soup.
Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks, Chief.

Since I can't remember how Mom made hers, I'll try both methods.

After all, the ingredients are cheap, and the results, hopefully, will still be edible.

There is also the possibility that she didn't reduce the condensed soup at all or used less water/milk when mixing it with cream of wheat. Other variables to consider.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

OK, today I tried heating the reduced soup and then adding the cream of wheat. It took five tablespoons to thicken.

The mistake I made was adding the 1/4 teaspoon of salt called for in the C of W directions, causing it to be too salty.

Otherwise, it wasn't bad, but not like I remember.

In the next few days, I'll try Chief's suggestion. I'll prepare the cream of wheat and then add the un-reduced soup. I won't be adding any salt this time, as there should be plenty in the soup.

NRA Benefactor Member

Tags
cream, cream of wheat, recipe, wheat

Help with a childhood favorite (cream of wheat) This shouldn't be difficult since there are only two ingredients. Still, not sure where to start. Mom used to fix cream of wheat combined with Campbell's condensed cream of mushroom soup. It had a consistency like thick oatmeal. I need suggestions on how to recreate this. (Yep, have zero cooking skills!) Follow soup directions, then add uncooked cream of wheat? Also prepare cream of wheat, then mix with diluted soup? Just not sure. Thanks, 3 stars 1 reviews