Hi and help with beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeterlover

Assistant Cook
I am trying to find out if there is a solution to my chili beans. I soaked pinto beans over night, they have been cooking for 5 hours and are still hard as a rock. Is there any help in sight? I don't cook very well. I am trying to find easy recipes so I can get away from the "Hamburger helper" scene. Someone please help.
Thanks,
jeterlover

Welcome to the group!
Are your beans really old? I've heard that older beans take much longer to soften and I'm afraid at this point...you might have to start over.

Someone with more bean know how will come along shortly and give you a better answer.

I'm new but I heard if you live at high altitudes this can affect your beans staying hard after boiling for long periods of time. But i'm not 100% sure :(
I heard pressure cookers are great for cooking beans as well. Good luck!

Welcome aboard!

Old beans will never soften. Also, adding acidic ingredients such as tomato to the beans early in the cooking will make them tough.

Please tell me you don't mean Derek Jeter, do you?

Jeter, I learned this lesson the hard way also.

And Andy is, as always, correct.

Looked into it after I had tossed a bunch of dried beans, from the pantry from who knows when, into water and boiled them.

And boiled them, and boiled them.

Apparently the pores, holes, whatever they are called, in the outside of the beans that will let water into the center close up as the dried beans sit about. And so your beans are fully cooked, yes, but there is no water in them, and so they are just tough cooked dried beans.

If there is any way to resurrect them, I do not know of it.

Would just deep six them and buy some more.

Sorry.

I'm a big fan of Andy for a very good reason. He knows what he's talking about. One additional comment; salt added to the cooking water does not inhibit the softening of the beans.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

LeisuresKitchen said:
I'm new but I heard if you live at high altitudes this can affect your beans staying hard after boiling for long periods of time. But i'm not 100% sure :(
I heard pressure cookers are great for cooking beans as well. Good luck!
This statement is true about high altitudes; that is why I use a pressure cooker (I live at a mile in elevation and have lived at 7200 ft). I use old beans to make bean bag toys for my grandkids, they aren't good for anything else, lol. Andy is sooo right on this subject!!

Hi, welcome to the DC family. As for your bean problem, it seems that your beans are either very old or have grown on unsuitable ground. In either case, the better solution would be to throw them away and buy some new ones hoping that they may be a fresh crop.

You will probably hear that soaking them with some sodium bicarbonate may soften them but I don't think it's worth it. In my experience, beans that did not boil well remain so no matter how or what I tried. Meanwhile, beans of the latest crop most of the time boil well from the start without the need to resort to additives to get the job done.

Whatever you may have heard, beans do not last fifteen years in food storage. I have cooked some beans from about 2000 and they cooked to hulls because they were old. In Utah, people have been known to inherit a food storage that is over 50 years old. "Old food, is No food!"

OK, major gross out on the 50 year old food there StirBlue. I knew about the old beans bit, but I didn't know about the higher elevation thing! *forehead slap* THAT explains a lot for me. Sigh. Going to toss out that bag of beans in my pantry.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't notice anyone mentioning beans need to be presoaked. You shouldn't just throw dried beans in a pot and expect them to cook up nice and tender. I do the 10 minute "quick soak" most of the time, but if I'm planning ahead I soak them overnight.

Fraidy

StirBlue said:
In Utah, people have been known to inherit a food storage that is over 50 years old. "Old food, is No food!"

Don't remind me. When my MIL moved in with use last year, she wanted all her cooking stuff over. Needless to say, I pitched a lot of her seasonings, as they were just way to old, like 20 years old. The herbs had lost color, and had no flavor, but she insisted on using them.

Like everyone said they were probably old. I always throw mine in the pressure cooker and cook a tad longer to take care of the pre-soak Fraidy is talking about. To do a quick pre-soak just bring your beans to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour. Then start from there.

I know there`s a method used for Maise and such things that involves them being boiled in a Hydroxide, often Calcium hydroxide or even Potassium hydroxide from ashes.
it might be interesting from an experimental point of veiw to keep a few of these beans back and try it on them :)

yes even Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) has been used also in the food industry.

if you DO decide to have a go with this, then PLEASE do NOT use ANY aluminium cookware! it will destroy it.

YT...What isle did you find that stuff on? We're gonna have to keep an eye on you before you start posting turtle wax recipes. I have a suspicion that you have cooked a turtle. If you were not unique, I wouldn't poke fun at you...love your post.

YT2095 said:
I know there`s a method used for Maise and such things that involves them being boiled in a Hydroxide, often Calcium hydroxide or even Potassium hydroxide from ashes.
it might be interesting from an experimental point of veiw to keep a few of these beans back and try it on them :)

yes even Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) has been used also in the food industry.

if you DO decide to have a go with this, then PLEASE do NOT use ANY aluminium cookware! it will destroy it.
While it's true that bases will cause breakdown and therefore softening of food, it may prove somewhat dangerous to do. Strong bases such as sodum hydroxide would be dangerous if used beyond a certain amount. The amount the human body can tolerate is very small. Weaker bases such as calcium hydroxide (lime water) may be marginally safer but still dangerous. In addition, calcium hydroxide will give an unpleasant taste to the food. It is better to experiment with very weak bases which pose a much lower health risk. But is saving some old beans worth all this trouble? Finally, please bear in mind that breaking food down through the action of a base is the process that is foreign to the human body which breaks down food by the action of acid (hydrochloric acid produced in the stomach).

boufa06 said:
While it's true that bases will cause breakdown and therefore softening of food, it may prove somewhat dangerous to do. Strong bases such as sodum hydroxide would be dangerous if used beyond a certain amount. The amount the human body can tolerate is very small. Weaker bases such as calcium hydroxide (lime water) may be marginally safer but still dangerous. In addition, calcium hydroxide will give an unpleasant taste to the food. It is better to experiment with very weak bases which pose a much lower health risk. But is saving some old beans worth all this trouble? Finally, please bear in mind that breaking food down through the action of a base is the process that is foreign to the human body which breaks down food by the action of acid (hydrochloric acid produced in the stomach).
I use calcium hydroxide to soak corn making nixtamal, something like hominy, which is then ground into a corn masa for tortillas or tamales. the trick is to rinse very well afterward. Actually you not only rinse it but also rub the outer hull off the kernel. I've never heard of adding it to beans. If you were going to do something like that it might be better to use baking soda instead but I wouldn't even suggest that.
jeterlover said:
I am trying to find out if there is a solution to my chili beans. I soaked pinto beans over night, they have been cooking for 5 hours and are still hard as a rock. Is there any help in sight? I don't cook very well. I am trying to find easy recipes so I can get away from the "Hamburger helper" scene. Someone please help.
Thanks,
jeterlover
I cook beans two or three times a week and maybe I've just been lucky but have never experienced them staying hard as a rock after soaking, then simmering five hours, even if they'd been in the cupboard for years (never 15 years though). If you only had a pound to start with I'd suggest tossing them and getting some new but you if you've got 50 lb. bags the pressure cooker route might be worth a try.
I commend your escape from hamburger helper. Please let us know how it's working out.

Back
Top Bottom