(Rated Spicey to Spicey Hot!)
Prepare traditional Puerto Rican style rice with chickpeas.
Preferably a day ahead of time.
1. Cook the rice with chickpeas ahead of time. Refrigerate until you are ready to make this dish. (If you need to save time; substitute 2 cups of canned chickpeas in place of preparing dried chickpeas).
2. Preheat the oven to 375F.
3. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients of the spice mixture listed below and set aside.
(Omit chipotle Chili Powder for a somewhat milder dish).
2-teaspoons ground smoked paprika (or chipotle chili powder)
1 1/2-teaspoon ground coriander powder
1-teaspoon ground cumin powder
1/2-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-teaspoon ground clove
1/8-teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4-teaspoon red chili powder (omit if using spicy chipotle chili powder)
4. In a large bowl combine; 4 cups cubed sweet potato (parboiled if desired) and 2 cups sweet onion cut into wedges, 1/4 cup Annatto oil or extra virgin olive oil, and 3 teaspoons of the spice mix. Mix well so that the onions and sweet potatoes are evenly covered with oil and spice. Pour and spread out the onions and sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet. Put the mix into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
5. While the onions and sweet potatoes are roasting, add to the large bowl the cooked rice with chickpeas and 2-3 Tablepoons extra virgin olive oil or Annatto Oil. Toss Lightly.
6. After the 15-20 minutes of roasting the onions and sweet potatoes, remove them from the oven and add the rice and chickpeas. Mix well and spread out evenly. Return to the oven for an additional 15-20 minutes of roasting. At least once during the remaining roasting time (after 5-10 minutes); Turn over and mix to avoid burning. Continue roasting until the sweet potatoes are tender.
MAKES A GREAT SIDE DISH FOR A HOLIDAY BRISKET! !