"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
View Poll Results: Who makes their own Pasta?
Always 4 16.67%
Never 8 33.33%
occasionally 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I'm like VeraBlue - I seem to make pasta in the fall/winter months, same with most breads also. I don't do flavors much, I really should play with that sometime tho.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Hi again Jean
I guess that I have just got used to making it, over the years I reckon the amount I have made must stretch to the moon lol

Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Head Chef

I've never tried to make fresh pasta yet, but would like to try sometime. I've seen the pasta attachment for KA mixers but haven't purchased one yet. Do you guys make your pasta by hand or do you use a machine?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I make the pasta dough by hand and then use a pasta roller machine to get it to the required level of thin-ness.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
I've never tried to make fresh pasta yet, but would like to try sometime. I've seen the pasta attachment for KA mixers but haven't purchased one yet. Do you guys make your pasta by hand or do you use a machine?
I use a Tippo Hand machine, works well for me.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #16
Head Chef

I've seen the hand crank machines at the stores before R123. I was just thinking about the KA attachment because it would take up less space in my kitchen. So basically the pasta dough is made by hand and then put through the machine to thin it out and cut it into shape? Approx how long does it take to make a batch of fresh pasta for 2 people?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have a pasta maker... but I think I'm afraid to use it. I never have....
Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I do the entire job with my Kitchenaid. I mix the dough, then wrap and chill it for an hour. Then I use the pasta roller and cutter attachment or roll the dough and use my ravioli maker(which I love) for my homemade ravioli. I used to the this all by hand and hand crank machine, but this works so well and so quickly. It's therapy for me, as well.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #19
Head Chef

I've never seen the dough done in the KA before, I've only seen it made on the FN, usually the dry ingredients are put on a work surface and a well is made in the center for the wet ingredients. Then the dry is pulled into the wet? Guess I should have paid attention to what they were doing
Old 07-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I like making it, I can add whatever herbs, flavourings I want.Also, if I'm making something like lasagna sheets, it's way cheaper than buying them fresh. . Sometimes I do it by hand, othertimes in the KA. And, I still have the old hand crank that I love.

Tags
None