Home made whole grain pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vidarious

Assistant Cook
I know this may seem like a silly question but I would like to confirm it none-the-less...

When making home made pasta: For any given recipe, is it safe to interchange the type of flour used in the recipe with whole grain flour? Or must I find specific instructions for making whole grain pasta?

I ask because I find many interesting recipes that use regular flour but I only eat whole grain pasta. I'm having a hard time finding whole grain specific pasta recipes.

I know this may seem like a silly question but I would like to confirm it none-the-less...

When making home made pasta: For any given recipe, is it safe to interchange the type of flour used in the recipe with whole grain flour? Or must I find specific instructions for making whole grain pasta?

I ask because I find many interesting recipes that use regular flour but I only eat whole grain pasta. I'm having a hard time finding whole grain specific pasta recipes.

Give it a try!!! And please let me know how it went ;) I usually interchange the flour and take it from there for the next time!

If you sub whole wheat flour into a recipe for AP flour for pasta, it will be too dry.
Use less whole wheat flour than you would AP flour, or add more egg and water.

Here is where I start:
4 large eggs
2 T. water
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt

You can always adjust it if it isn't right.

And...welcome to DC!

Last edited:
If you sub whole wheat flour into a recipe for AP flour for pasta, it will be too dry.
Use less whole wheat flour than you would AP flour, or add more egg and water.

Here is where I start:
4 large eggs
2 T. water
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 t. salt

You can always adjust it if it isn't right.

And...welcome to DC!

Thankyou!

I like a light whole wheat pasta with a mixture too Jennyemma, but the OP wanted whole grain, and I have had success in the past with all whole wheat flour.
For light wheat pasta I start with:

2 1/2 c. Whole wheat flour
1 c. Bread or AP flour
4 large eggs
2 T. Water
1/2 t. Salt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom