Homemade pasta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see another appliance purchase.......this forum may be free, but all the cool new toys sure aren't!

I know. I used to think, "Hmmm. If we had eaten this at a restaurant, it would have cost $60. Guess I can buy something new for the kitchen, then." Not so bad anymore. There's little else I want that I don't already have to work with.

(We, ah, don't - ahem - count the cost of the wood lathe that will turn the stamp or the exotic wood it will be turned from. Not a "kitchen tool," you see.)

I know. I used to think, "Hmmm. If we had eaten this at a restaurant, it would have cost $60. Guess I can buy something new for the kitchen, then." Not so bad anymore. There's little else I want that I don't already have to work with.

(We, ah, don't - ahem - count the cost of the wood lathe that will turn the stamp or the exotic wood it will be turned from. Not a "kitchen tool," you see.)
With capital cost depreciation, that lathe is just pennies a day...that's the excuse the DH uses for all the milling machines in the shop and the sawmill...

Of course it was purchased for the kitchen. And unless you already have them you will need chisels to carve the head. All of this makes it kitchen tools and therefore needed items to serve an exotic meal to company. And you never know when the boss and his wife will be there for dinner. It could mean the difference in whether you get that promotion or not. After you have them made for your kitchen, you could make more for sale and start your own side business. That make the expense a business tax deduction. :rolleyes:

All of the kitchen gadgets still don't come close to the cost of building a hot rod, so I am still safe. May need more gadgets!

My husband is in charge of the pasta making in this house, and Chef Jacob, you pretty much use the same method. He kneads by hand for awhile, lets it sit for 15 min or so, then finishes the kneading by going through the machine from thick (folding it a few times at thick) to whatever thickness we ultimately want. Then we let it sit for another little while before cutting into noodles or whatever. The last sitting is mostly just to make it so it doesn't stick too much to the machine, making it a bit*h to clean. My job is to flour at each stage. Not to mention making the sauce (when you've gone through the trouble of making hand-made pasta, the KISS rule rules) and salad .... and cleaning the machine.

My husband is in charge of the pasta making in this house, and Chef Jacob, you pretty much use the same method. He kneads by hand for awhile, lets it sit for 15 min or so, then finishes the kneading by going through the machine from thick (folding it a few times at thick) to whatever thickness we ultimately want. Then we let it sit for another little while before cutting into noodles or whatever. The last sitting is mostly just to make it so it doesn't stick too much to the machine, making it a bit*h to clean. My job is to flour at each stage. Not to mention making the sauce (when you've gone through the trouble of making hand-made pasta, the KISS rule rules) and salad .... and cleaning the machine.

I do the same thing, but without a pasta machine. I hand roll my pasta. I've often wondered what would happen if I took the cutting blade out of my meat grinder, and used it to extrude noodles, either through the coarse wheel, or the fine wheel. Anyone ever try this method for making noodles?

I would love to master the technique used by Martin Yan. The man makes amazing noodles faster than I can spell his name, and his name isn't hard to spell.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I do the same thing, but without a pasta machine. I hand roll my pasta. I've often wondered what would happen if I took the cutting blade out of my meat grinder, and used it to extrude noodles, either through the coarse wheel, or the fine wheel. Anyone ever try this method for making noodles?

I would love to master the technique used by Martin Yan. The man makes amazing noodles faster than I can spell his name, and his name isn't hard to spell.

I would think you would get long pasta like Bucatlnii. Only there wouldn't be a hole in it. Sounds like an interersting concept. :chef:

I'll have to try to remember to let it dry a bit before cutting it next time. Hey, maybe it will even cut it into spaghetti if I let it dry a bit first.

Might be a neat way to make Spaetzle...:chef:

I'll have to try to remember to let it dry a bit before cutting it next time. Hey, maybe it will even cut it into spaghetti if I let it dry a bit first.

I think of spaghetti as round. How do you get that with home chef techniques? Or is it just no big deal as long as the cross section is about the right size?

I'd love to make my own spaghetti/linguini or whatever pasta some day. (When I have a kitchen.)

I think of spaghetti as round. How do you get that with home chef techniques? Or is it just no big deal as long as the cross section is about the right size?

I'd love to make my own spaghetti/linguini or whatever pasta some day. (When I have a kitchen.)

Oh, it won't be found. It will just have the right size in a rectangular/square cross section.

Before I got my pasta machine, I used to make lasagna noodles every now and again. Narrower noodles were done seldom - too much effort.

Oh, it won't be found. It will just have the right size in a rectangular/square cross section.

Before I got my pasta machine, I used to make lasagna noodles every now and again. Narrower noodles were done seldom - too much effort.

To get uniform noodles, roll the dough to the proper thickness, dust with flour and roll it up. Make thin slices perpendicular across the roll. When they are unrolled, you have beautiful noodles of any thickness you want.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

To get uniform noodles, roll the dough to the proper thickness, dust with flour and roll it up. Make thin slices perpendicular across the roll. When they are unrolled, you have beautiful noodles of any thickness you want.

Yeah, but sometimes they stick to themselves when you are trying to unroll them and they fight with you.

What kind of pasta machine do you have?

Have you ever seen how Lydia cuts her pasta dough by hand? She rolls it from both ends so that they meet in the middle. Then she cuts them, puts a handle from a wooden spoon in the middle and picks them up and shakes them loose to separate. A really neat trick. :cool:

What kind of pasta machine do you have?

Atlas 150 mm Deluxe:

pasta_machine_motor_large5.jpg

I would probably get a wider one if I was getting one now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom