"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
GLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Near Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I see another appliance purchase.......this forum may be free, but all the cool new toys sure aren't!
I know. I used to think, "Hmmm. If we had eaten this at a restaurant, it would have cost $60. Guess I can buy something new for the kitchen, then." Not so bad anymore. There's little else I want that I don't already have to work with.

(We, ah, don't - ahem - count the cost of the wood lathe that will turn the stamp or the exotic wood it will be turned from. Not a "kitchen tool," you see.)
__________________

__________________
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I know. I used to think, "Hmmm. If we had eaten this at a restaurant, it would have cost $60. Guess I can buy something new for the kitchen, then." Not so bad anymore. There's little else I want that I don't already have to work with.

(We, ah, don't - ahem - count the cost of the wood lathe that will turn the stamp or the exotic wood it will be turned from. Not a "kitchen tool," you see.)
With capital cost depreciation, that lathe is just pennies a day...that's the excuse the DH uses for all the milling machines in the shop and the sawmill...
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
(We, ah, don't - ahem - count the cost of the wood lathe that will turn the stamp or the exotic wood it will be turned from. Not a "kitchen tool," you see.)
Of course it was purchased for the kitchen. And unless you already have them you will need chisels to carve the head. All of this makes it kitchen tools and therefore needed items to serve an exotic meal to company. And you never know when the boss and his wife will be there for dinner. It could mean the difference in whether you get that promotion or not. After you have them made for your kitchen, you could make more for sale and start your own side business. That make the expense a business tax deduction.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
All of the kitchen gadgets still don't come close to the cost of building a hot rod, so I am still safe. May need more gadgets!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
All of the kitchen gadgets still don't come close to the cost of building a hot rod, so I am still safe. May need more gadgets!
Good point!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
My husband is in charge of the pasta making in this house, and Chef Jacob, you pretty much use the same method. He kneads by hand for awhile, lets it sit for 15 min or so, then finishes the kneading by going through the machine from thick (folding it a few times at thick) to whatever thickness we ultimately want. Then we let it sit for another little while before cutting into noodles or whatever. The last sitting is mostly just to make it so it doesn't stick too much to the machine, making it a bit*h to clean. My job is to flour at each stage. Not to mention making the sauce (when you've gone through the trouble of making hand-made pasta, the KISS rule rules) and salad .... and cleaning the machine.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband is in charge of the pasta making in this house, and Chef Jacob, you pretty much use the same method. He kneads by hand for awhile, lets it sit for 15 min or so, then finishes the kneading by going through the machine from thick (folding it a few times at thick) to whatever thickness we ultimately want. Then we let it sit for another little while before cutting into noodles or whatever. The last sitting is mostly just to make it so it doesn't stick too much to the machine, making it a bit*h to clean. My job is to flour at each stage. Not to mention making the sauce (when you've gone through the trouble of making hand-made pasta, the KISS rule rules) and salad .... and cleaning the machine.
I do the same thing, but without a pasta machine. I hand roll my pasta. I've often wondered what would happen if I took the cutting blade out of my meat grinder, and used it to extrude noodles, either through the coarse wheel, or the fine wheel. Anyone ever try this method for making noodles?

I would love to master the technique used by Martin Yan. The man makes amazing noodles faster than I can spell his name, and his name isn't hard to spell.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I do the same thing, but without a pasta machine. I hand roll my pasta. I've often wondered what would happen if I took the cutting blade out of my meat grinder, and used it to extrude noodles, either through the coarse wheel, or the fine wheel. Anyone ever try this method for making noodles?

I would love to master the technique used by Martin Yan. The man makes amazing noodles faster than I can spell his name, and his name isn't hard to spell.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I would think you would get long pasta like Bucatlnii. Only there wouldn't be a hole in it. Sounds like an interersting concept.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My husband is in charge of the pasta making in this house, and Chef Jacob, you pretty much use the same method. He kneads by hand for awhile, lets it sit for 15 min or so, then finishes the kneading by going through the machine from thick (folding it a few times at thick) to whatever thickness we ultimately want. Then we let it sit for another little while before cutting into noodles or whatever. The last sitting is mostly just to make it so it doesn't stick too much to the machine, making it a bit*h to clean. My job is to flour at each stage. Not to mention making the sauce (when you've gone through the trouble of making hand-made pasta, the KISS rule rules) and salad .... and cleaning the machine.
I'll have to try to remember to let it dry a bit before cutting it next time. Hey, maybe it will even cut it into spaghetti if I let it dry a bit first.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I do the same thing, but without a pasta machine. I hand roll my pasta. I've often wondered what would happen if I took the cutting blade out of my meat grinder, and used it to extrude noodles, either through the coarse wheel, or the fine wheel. Anyone ever try this method for making noodles?

I would love to master the technique used by Martin Yan. The man makes amazing noodles faster than I can spell his name, and his name isn't hard to spell.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Might be a neat way to make Spaetzle...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade, other, pasta

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.