This Potato Gnocchi recipe comes from my Grandmom Margherite.
2 3/4 pounds potatoes
1 tsp. salt
white pepper - a sprinkle
2 large eggs
3 cups Unbleached all purpose flour
Dried herbs: basil, oregano, parsley and thyme sprinkled lightly in the flour
1. potatoes are boiled in salted water until tender.
2. let cool slightly and then peel, and press through a Ricer
3. spread the potatoes riced on work surface to cool completely 3 hrs.
4. next, I form into a mound and make a well in centre of potato mixture; the potatoes and the egg mixture are worked together while the all purpose flour is gradually and very slowly worked added to form a soft dough
5. beat or whisk in the 2 eggs, salt and pepper and add to the well in the potato mixture
6. gather the dough in ball and then roll into cylinder on lightly floured surface
7. cut crosswide into 8 large pieces and roll one piece between your hands and work surface into a long 1/2 inch thick rope
8. using a pastry scraper, slice the rope on a diagonal into pieces that are three fourths inches long.
9. press gnocchi pieces against a fork to create a ribbed impression and repeat with remaining dough
10. take a large pot of boiling water and add 1/4 of the gnocchi to cook until they rise to surface and are light and tender
11. with a slotted spoon, remove to a large platter that has been previously Buttered ... work in batches.
*** SERVE WITH: sausage and bell green pepper, or Ragł of veal or beef or chicken or pork and / or gorgonzola sauce
Enjoy your Sunday.