Hominy, what to do with it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed - I think you've taken this the wrong way. Patty1 has that quote as her signature line under all her posts. It's not meant to be taken seriously - it's a joke.

Goodweed - I think you've taken this the wrong way. Patty1 has that quote as her signature line under all her posts. It's not meant to be taken seriously - it's a joke.

Oh.:blush: I'm sorr, Patty. I made a big oops. I'm glad that you are here to stay. The part about me wanting to share good things, that still applies. The other parts, I wish I could retract them so that they were never typed. So please accept my apology.

And Breezy, thanks for the heads up. I feel rediculous.:wacko:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Exactly!! Thank you BreezyCooking. It is a quote from another member who also flew off the handle when reading comprehension failed them. It is their exit line that I quoted it as a joke.:wacko:

My house is never clean...

Anyhow try flavoring the hominy with bacon pieces already fried. I like to fry them in oil and/or butter but that's probably just me.

I also brought back some blue corn (hominy) for posole. A search on the Internet, and I'm thinking this might be a tasty recipe:

Blue corn posole stew (from RimJournal.com)

The recipe isn't really clear on soaking the corn overnight--I'm assuming that should still be done. This is a weekend project, probably won't get around to doing it until after CDN Thanksgiving.

Any comments from folks who've made posole re: this recipe and what you'd add? Or, if you have a TNT one that is better :chef:?

I've only bought hominy in cans, and used it much as you'd use garbanzo beans. The first time I had it was in "Texas Caviar". Some white tortilla chips are made with hominy, not white corn. Hominy is corn soaked in lye.

I ordered the "blue" hominy (corn) from:

Corn Posole

I had to email the folks and ask if it was blue hominy...it is treated the same way. I'm looking forward to trying it. And, I won't be feeding it to the hens--it cost more than I'd like to spend for treated corn!

I like hominy in vegetable soup, or sometimes I cook it in the pan after I pan-fry pork chops, as a starchy side dish.

I usually use canned, so your dried hominy will need to be cooked before using it like that. And you will be surprised at how long dried hominy takes to cook--at least as long as dry beans.

I love it in Cowboy/Texas Caviar, too.

I didn't read through the entire thread, so maybe someone already mentioned this, but hominy is made from field corn. If it comes dried, it should first be treated by cooking it in a solution of calcium hydroxide (aka "cal"). This step does three things. First, it softens the outermost hull on the corn so it can be rinsed away. Second, it makes the corn more nutritious by adding calcium, niacin, and trace nutrients. Third, and maybe most importantly, it makes the flavor wonderful. It tastes and smells like corn tortillas.

This is one of those things discovered by the Aztecs or Mayans (I forget which) that make you scratch your head and wonder how in the world they stumbled upon the process. Ancient aliens showed them I guess. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I hate hominy from a can, too. It's just not the same as the real deal.

Last edited:
Steve in the UK the trad side to go with fish and chips is mushy peas. The peas are a dried large type called Marrowfats, in the box there is a tablet of bicarbonate of soda that you put in with the peas when you soak them overnight.
Like you these thing interest me, I also use them to make Pea and Ham soup, can you imagine the first time that was made. Whats that green stuff in the cauldron darling?
Well Ugg times are hard its called Pee and Ham.................Thud:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom