"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Head Chef

After you completely cool it, make sure to toss it in the frdige overnight (uncovered). If you can "fluff" it before you go to bed, after it's been in a couple hours, that'd be great too.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hi everyone... I'm new here

Is anyone ever try Indonesian Fried Rice?

I have an authentic home recipe

Old 10-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
After you completely cool it, make sure to toss it in the frdige overnight (uncovered). If you can "fluff" it before you go to bed, after it's been in a couple hours, that'd be great too.

YES. Rice often carries the bacillus bacteria which can be very nasty! Fried rice is a leading cause of B. cereus emetic-type food poisoning in the United States. Unfortunately, I learned the very hard way

Make sure you keep it cooked rice in the fridge and refrigerate any leftover freid rice promptly.

Also, for a more authentic taste use asian peanut or peanut/canola blend to stir fry in.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Wash the rice before you cook it to remove all the starch dust. Really important!!

Rinse the rice under cold water after initial cooking to remove more starch & stop the cooking process. Spread rice out on a tray as thinnly as possible to cool and mature.

I generally 2/3 - 3/4 boil the rice.

The wok MUST be really hot & kept that way. Look for breath of the wok before adding ingredients. You must work hard & fast.

For best tasting result use peanut oil - hi temp resistant.

Don't toss the rice (flip the wok), use a spatula or wok tool to turn the rice over constantly whilst cooking. When you get a coating on the hot surface of your wok the rice is cooked.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:42 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishSquash
Hi everyone... I'm new here

Is anyone ever try Indonesian Fried Rice?

I have an authentic home recipe
Ciao SquishSquash, welcome to DC!! Yes, that is Nasi Goreng you are talking about... one of the great loves for many Dutch people and I had it several times while I was in Holland... they were pretty good, better than the noodle version Bami Goreng.... Can you share your recipe with us??
Old 10-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I learned my method from watching Iron chef (japan) and poverty (eating nothing but rice for a few months).

Put a little less water than usual in the rice cooker or stop it when it's "almost" done. That way you get firm, solid rice. Let the steam pour out with the lid open for a while, In other words dont leat the rice "keep warm" as the option on the rice cooker says.

You still do want this rice to be extremely hot... get some oil heating in a wok and toss a couple of grains of rice in there. If they start to pop and crack it's stime to dump in the whole thing. At this point crack an egg into it and start sauteeing the rice quickly while stirring with a pair of chopsticks (it dosent mash the rice together like a spoon does). Keep up the speed on this because if you do it right each individual grain of rice will have a good texture and no two grains will be stuck to eac other. You know you did it right if your sauteeing it and it goes around fluidly instead of in clumps.

Then if you want some color in it add soysauce... personaly I recomend Pearl River dark mushroom soysauce in a moderate amount.

From there you choose whatever you want, personally I like bean sprouts, chinese sausage, smoked pork shoulder, brocoli or usually all of the above.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Cast iron skillet

I am attempting to make these recipes. What if you don't have a wok? Will the cast iron skillet do? I have seen this prepared on some kind of grill in Chinese restaurants. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #18
Head Chef

SquishSquash, I have a recipe from my late FIL for Nasi Goreng and Bami Goreng. He grew up on the island of Sumatra and then moved to the Netherlands after WWII.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I am attempting to make these recipes. What if you don't have a wok? Will the cast iron skillet do? I have seen this prepared on some kind of grill in Chinese restaurants. Thanks for your help.
Should be no problem ITK as long as your skillet is properly seasoned and kept very hot.

Keep the rice moving at all times. Prior preparation is essential so everything goes in on queue.

Clean, dry & fluffed rice = good fried rice.

Don't over fill your skillet because the excess will cool the cooking surface.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #20
Head Chef

I use my cast iron skillets for this more than I use my woks. Brooksy is right about not overfilling.

Tags
None