How many kinds of rice are in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Just curious ... Right now I have Cal-Rose short grain rice, basmati, and jasmine. I doubt anyone else I know has more than one type. How about you?

I have only one white rice (also the Cal-Rose), but I also have a generic brown rice and "wild rice" which I understand isn't really rice?

Just one, Uncle Ben's long grain white. We eat a lot of rice in my house. The last time I bought some I bought 20 lbs. It was buy 5 lbs. get 5 lbs. free, so I stocked up.

We have basmati, Mahatma gold rice, brown rice and wild rice. The wild rice I don't keep in the pantry - I keep that in the freezer. We don't like any kind that comes out sticky.

Boil-in-bag white and brown for quickies..
Basmati, jasmine, brown and "wild rice" mix.
Like rice.

Long grain brown and white, arborio and sushi.

...and a couple of boxes of Goya seasoned rices.

Jasmine, basmati, regular white. Also have wild rice, which is a grass.

Hi! When you go to one of the Asian Superstores that have begun popping up, there is a bewildering array of more than two dozen brands/types of rice, stacked on pallets like colorful cement bags. I eat rice almost every day. For sticky short grain, I prefer hitomebore. For fluffy long grain, I use Mahatma. I have a bag of large grain spanish paella rice. I also have a small bin of rice flour.

I stumbled upon DC last night, and signed up this morning. I haven't even set up my profile yet. I'm not all that good a cook, but I do enjoy. My plan was to lurk and learn, but participating with all of you looks like too much fun.

Hello Chopsticks. Welcome. If you can cook rice, you have the base for a good meal any time. We like rice too. We don't eat it with milk and sugar like some do - ours are usually a dinner meal, unless it is leftover, then lunch.

No one type of rice is the best for all dishes. Right now, we have these six types in the pantry:

• Long-Grain White -- regular rice for most American dishes
  • Medium-Grain White (CalRose) -- a sticky variety for serving with Asian dishes
  • Arborio -- for Risotto
  • California Brown -- for general use in place of regular white rice
  • Jasmine -- for Asian dishes
  • White Basmati -- for Indian dishes

The types I try to always have on hand are Arborio, organic long grain brown, and some sort of blend. Right now I have Lundberg's Mahogany rice, which has a really deep, rich flavor. I have stopped using "regular" white rice. "Regular" at Chez Julia is Organic long grain brown rice.

long-grain white rice
arborio
forbidden
brown
jasmine
brown and wild mix
wild (which is a grass SRL, you are right)
Thai sweet rice
sushi rice

Actually, ALL rices are members of the "grass" family. So-called "wild" rice is just a different genus, or branch, if you will.

long grain converted, long grain "sticky", medium grain (great mixed with groats), canaroli and arborio short grain rices, black rice, red rice, wild rice (not really a rice), basmati, brown rice of a few types: short, long , and basmati.

Let me see.....white and brown (both in long and short grain), basmati, sushi, arbrorio, jasmine. Are there any others? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom