How to fix undercooked barley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I just made some pearl barley (first time trying it) and it is undercooked :( I followed the directions...1 cup barley simmered in 3 cups water for 60 minutes. The barley tastes like it's undercooked. Is it okay to add more water and reheat? If so how much?

Take about a half cup and put it in a smaller saucepan. Cover with water and see how it cooks. If it is all right, then cook the rest the same way.

Next time soak the barley overnight and you won't have this problem of guessing. :angel:

Take about a half cup and put it in a smaller saucepan. Cover with water and see how it cooks. If it is all right, then cook the rest the same way.

Next time soak the barley overnight and you won't have this problem of guessing. :angel:

Thanks Addie. I'll give it a try right now.

How do you know if it's done correctly? Is it supposed to have a chewy consistency?

It's a matter of texture. There should be some bite to the barley but not so much that is tiresome to eat it.

It does. Not hard, but it doesn't get soft like noodles or beans either. I think its "done" texture is similar to wild rice, only bigger and round. ~ Hope this helps.

BTW, next time you cook barley, test a few grains as it gets close to the end of cooking time. If it isn't done enough for you, keep checking every five minutes until it is. My last batch of barley took an extra half hour or so before I was happy.

It's a matter of texture. There should be some bite to the barley but not so much that is tiresome to eat it.

Exactly. I always soak my barley overnight. Then add it to my beef stew in the slow cooker. That means about four to five hours of cooking. I could cook it even longer and it will still have that little bite in the center. That is what you are looking for. You shouldn't have to grind it with your teeth. :angel:

KG, how do you plan to use it? Barley is wonderful for home made soup but a lot can go wrong there if you add too much to the soup and end up with a glob of barley.
Pre cooking your barley like you did puts you ahead of the game. Just finish the barley while simmering your home made beef, or chicken or vegetable soup.:yum:

Last edited:
You might know barley from canned soup, it's normally really soft. I prefer mine with a bit of "chew". And as Kayelle advised, if you're using it in soup, don't add too much barley! Been there, done that, and ended up with barley gruel.

Cooked barley freezes well.

You might know barley from canned soup, it's normally really soft. I prefer mine with a bit of "chew". And as Kayelle advised, if you're using it in soup, don't add too much barley! Been there, done that, and ended up with barley gruel.

Oh yeah! I love lamb stew with barley. Or was that barley with lamb? Either way, all the broth was in the barley. :angel:

It does. Not hard, but it doesn't get soft like noodles or beans either. I think its "done" texture is similar to wild rice, only bigger and round. ~ Hope this helps.

BTW, next time you cook barley, test a few grains as it gets close to the end of cooking time. If it isn't done enough for you, keep checking every five minutes until it is. My last batch of barley took an extra half hour or so before I was happy.

So if it's not done and the water has been absorbed, do you add more water? If so how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Did it come out like gruel because barley keeps absorbing water?

That's really helpful. Is it supposed to be similar to the texture of brown rice?

Not too long, maybe a few days if it's cooked. I would freeze the excess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom