"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
There is no cream in traditional Risotto. But you will not get that creamy texture unless you use Arborio rice. It's a short grain Italian rice. There are a couple of varieties. I prefer the kind called "Vialone Nano." (That is not a brand name. The most common brand in US is Beretta.

As well, you have to use simmering stock, and add it a bit at a time, until it is absorbed by the rice -- stirring all the while (or at lease most of the while ). It takes about 20 minutes to accomplish the creamy texture and the toothsome kernels.
simmering stock so as not to lower the temperture in pan and slow the cooking down? i have never made it.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
Master Chef

Because it was not locally available when I first moved to the Midwest, I took to using Cal-Rose rice (at the time the only short grain rice available). Believe it or not, I can make a decent risoto with it. I've never used cream, I make up a pot of hot stock/broth (depending on what is in the freezer and what is on the pantry shelf), good quality cheese, and always get the creamy texture. To me the trick is (a) using a deep skillet, and (b) not leaving the pot. Stir, stir, and stir some more. I haven't made it in months, and I should soon (we're still not having warm weather, so it is a good time to make it, before my kitchen, not air conditioned, gets too hot!).

Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
simmering stock so as not to lower the temperture in pan and slow the cooking down? i have never made it.
You are absolutely correct! The stock must be heated to keep the cooking even and the risotto must be constantly stirred, unlike other rice dishes where you leave it covered and DO NOT TOUCH!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

I suspect you're not adding enough stock. I find that recipes generally call for too little, perhaps because the rice is drier than they anticipate or maybe because I turn up the heat too much. In any case, I keep a tea kettle of hot water handy in case I need more liquid once all the stock has been used up.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
yes, Msmofet. Keeping the temperature constant is one of the properties that makes the results turn out "creamy." You start out as for a pilau. Saute your onion/garlic whatever other aromatics you want, then add the rice and stir it around to get it nice and oily. Then add your wine, and stir until it is cooked down. Then start adding your stock by the half-cupful (I use a ladle) and stirring until each addition is incorporated. When you get down toward the end, you will notice it getting a bit liquidy. At that point, taste a kernel of rice for toothsomeness, and add your butter and grated cheese.

All this talk of risotto is making me crave it, and I'm on a starchless cleanse until thursday!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
yes, Msmofet. Keeping the temperature constant is one of the properties that makes the results turn out "creamy." You start out as for a pilau. Saute your onion/garlic whatever other aromatics you want, then add the rice and stir it around to get it nice and oily. Then add your wine, and stir until it is cooked down. Then start adding your stock by the half-cupful (I use a ladle) and stirring until each addition is incorporated. When you get down toward the end, you will notice it getting a bit liquidy. At that point, taste a kernel of rice for toothsomeness, and add your butter and grated cheese.

All this talk of risotto is making me crave it, and I'm on a starchless cleanse until thursday!
And stir continuously as you add the liquid.

Tags
None