I can't cook ... rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find that using a heavy-bottom pot, like a CI works much better and causes less sticking. Also if you boil the water on HIGH then add in the rice it stickes to the bottom a lot. Bring the water to a boil over MED HIGH heat and you may find it sticks less.

My mother made the best rice using a heavy bottom pot on the stove and it's all about measuring the rice and water, and ajusting the flame.

First, I usually use long grain rice, but I've also used jasmine, and basmati. Forget the the instructions on the box, their proportions of rice to water makes for a very wet, mushy rice.

For 1 cup of rice, I add 1 3/4 cups water
For 1 1/2 cups of rice, I add 2 1/2 cups of water
for 2 cups of rice, I add 3 cups of water
For 2 1/2 cups of rice, I add 3 1/2 cups of water
If you notice the pattern, you'll see that, except for the 1 cup of rice, you always add one extra cup of water to the amount of rice.

It works all the time. Nice fluffy, loose rice.

So, first I start with a heavy bottom pot, add the rice and about 2 tbsps. of EVOO, or vegetable oil, or butter (I use EVOO). Place over a hight flame and coat the rice with the oil. You will start to see that some of the rice piece start to look chalky. That's when you add the water and salt to taste. When the rice come up to a boil, cover, and lower the flame as low as possible. DO NOT OPEN THE LID. Set a timer for 20 minutes and walk away. After 20 minutes, turn off the flame, DO NOT OPEN THE LID, and leave the pot alone for an additonal 10 minutes.

That's it, perfect rice, every time.

What I do when cooking rice is that the number of cups of rice should be equal to the number of cups of water plus another half cup of water. This makes it perfect! ;-)

I, too, am someone who has problems with rice. I only cook it every week or two, so I'm not buying a rice cooker (all my Asian, Polynesian, and Hispanic friends own them, but they literally make rice every day). AND, I might add, that when I make Jasmine or Basmati rice, or us a shorter grain rice to make risotto or paella, THAT comes out just right. It is only when I am making plain old steamed rice like that you need a scoop of to go under a stir fry that I have problems. It's gotten better since my husband suggested I just do what I do when I make risotto, just use a covered frying pan rather than a deeper pot. Once upon a time I used to microwave my rice and it came out perfect every time, but then I had to replace that microwave oven and never got the power just right again (kept boiling over).

I'm learning how to cook and I found a video that I like on how to make rice. I found a few and they all show different ways of making it.

This one is just water, salt and rice >> How to Cook Rice Video and Steps | Real Simple

Doing it this way I noticed that my rice does not stick to the pan. If I use oil the rice would stick to the bottom of the pan.

Back
Top Bottom