"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Unhappy I can't cook ... rice

Hello...I have just accepted the fact that I can't cook and it is not something that comes natural to me.

I just made rice and its horrible...as usual...the rice got all stuck to the pot...the rice is mushy...there is no taste to it even though I put salt...and then I put more and its the same...I'm just no good with cooking at all...

Any advice?

Ghuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Master Chef
I'd say start with potato. even thouse of us who can cook, some times have problem with rice. i am one of them. For example do not come close to me with Basmanti rice. I can never get it rite. i do ok with other types and brands of rice, but Basmanti is my bigest problem.

With rice you have to be carefull. Everything matters. The amount of water, the seasoning, the amout of rice, the type of pot you are using, the heat levels, really everyhting.

If you are having problem in general, then you should start with something simple, if rice is your only problem, I'd say switch to some other side dish.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Head Chef
I guess I would read instructions carefully, first. You might want to check youtube or other how-to videos online.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Sous Chef
A lot of things that sound easy really aren't. Rice is one of them. I got a steamer years back and that helped a lot. and it beats the taste of instant.
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Learning to Cook

Don't give up! Everyone started somewhere. When my grandmother passed, my grandfather had to fend on his own. My mother found him a small basic cookbook that gave easy step-by-step instructions. He loved it and was so proud of himself when he made something good.

The keys were to get him a cookbook that made simple foods that he enjoyed and to ensure it was not too complex. My advise is to go to the local bookstore and inquire about cookbooks for beginners that has foods that you think you would enjoy. Once you master some basics, then experiment.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Cook
for the rice, have you considered a rice cooker? in general, im not a fan of single task appliances (though you can do a few things with a rice cooker) or funky gadgets (say no to garlic smashers, egg slicers, slap chops, avacado/mago knives, etc) that take up space, but i make an exception for rice cookers....they are cheap (a $15 one works quite well, but you can buy more expensive), do the job well, and take alot of the guess work out of the process

then you can move on to other cooking asks...and im sure we can all help
TheNoodleIncident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I know you are frustrated, but you are no different from any one else. Many a good cook has blown the rice. Check the stores in your area and see if they cary Texmati brand rice. I cook this in the microwave with a safe covered dish. I use chicken broth instead of water. This is a can't miss, unless you misread the directions. The aroma of this product cooking is on the same level as popcorn. It's fantastic. Good luck.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Head Chef
It's the effort that counts.

Through both successes and failures, through thick and thin, if you always remember to add that as your essential cooking ingredient, you'll surely become a fine chef. Don't worry about it.

In the meantime, whatever your staple of choice - rice, potato, bread, bean, pasta, etc. - go buy whatever tools you need because, by definition, you will be cooking it nearly every single day.
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Unless your stove top is busy with a lot of other dishes cooking, you most likely don't need a rice streamer.

All you need are:

A pot with a lid
Wooden Spoon
Measuring cup

In general, 1 cup of dried rice will turn into 2 cups of cooked rice.
Measure your rice and pour it into the pot.
Measure your water at 1-1/2 times the amount of rice you just put into the pot. (e.g. 1 cup of rice + 1-1/2 cups of water). Give the rice a swirl or two with the spoon. Leave the lid off.
Turn your burner on high and watch for it to come to a rolling boil. (not just little bubbles around the edges.)
Put the lid on and don't peek or take it off until the rice is completely ready.
When it comes to the rolling boil and you put on the lid, turn the burner down to medium low for 6 minutes. After the 6 minutes, turn the burner down to its lowest setting for another 6 minutes. After the second 6 minutes is up, turn the burner off and just let the pot set (the rice is still steaming) for 8 minutes.

Your rice is now ready. And it always works for Japanese-style rice.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Rice cookers are great. They work on a timer and most of the cooking pans are non-stick for easier clean up. Also a feature that alot also have is the built in warmer. Once the rice is cooked it changes over from a cooking temp to a holding temp. Its a great no mess method.

Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote