I wanna make Spaetzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe next week.... see how much I have for groceries.....
I wanna make the pierogies I saw in Pittsburgh first actually!
Can't remember the name of that place.... I have that episode saved also.
:)
Locally, it's called "Moondog's" but the real name is "The Starlite Lounge." I can see it from my cubicle window right here!!:LOL: Seriously!

It's more a place for rock bands and I din't even know they had food. But that episode made the grub look sinful. I'm so tickled that they gave us the recipe!;) Use that dough and fill em with buttery cabbage too. My gram fills them with Prunes.:sick:

Here's Moondog's website.

PS- holy typos on this website!

Oh gosh Jill thats so cool!
Go have a plate for me please???
I watched that one yesterday and have been drooling ever since... went to make them last night and the taters were questionably soft. :(

Oh gosh Jill thats so cool!
Go have a plate for me please???
I watched that one yesterday and have been drooling ever since... went to make them last night and the taters were questionably soft. :(
I can't exactly remember, but I seem to think that the filling they recommened wasn't so grand. The dough wa sspot-on, though so maybe try your own filling.

And.. NO I won't have an extra plate there!!!!! :LOL: Did you see all of that butter? I won't even fit into this forum after a plate of that let alone two.:pig: Anything else I can do for you, just ask!

Before I read any of these I'm just gonna post my answers.
First off, you go girl! I love the stuff myself and had it every day when I took our son for his 20th birthday to the motherland, his choice of places to visit, Volkwagenville > Germany. It is wonderful and homey to dine on.

My thing is, I've done it all ways you mentioned.
I've used my potato ricers, didnt' work well at all for me.
I've done a sieve with large holes and smaller ones, no go either.
I've done it using a zipper bag with tip cut out and squeeze little amounts, nope.
Pushed it through cheese grater, nope.
So, I can't wait to read what others have said.
It's hard to keep warm and perfect even if you've buttered it and covered it. I don't think I'm made to make this delicacy.

My grandmother that just passed away taught me how to make them. When you make the dough in a bowl just take a teaspoon and scrape a little bit off the side of the bowl. It's very time consuming and when I make them I have to make 3 batches. I did buy a spaetzle maker that's been shown but they come out really fine. My family likes them a little bigger.
I'll never forget the first time I made them on my own. I used 1/2 a teaspoon full of dough and they were HUGE!! I'll never live that down. lol I didn't realize at the time how they swelled up when boiled. I always make these when I make Chicken Paprikash.

Barb

A few years ago I wanted to try making spaetzle so, on a whim, I bought a spaetzle maker for less than $5. It works great.
oh my gosh, is 'that' what 'that' thing is I bought? I thought it was a garlic grater, no wonder it is no good grating garlic.:huh: no more garage sales for me.
Suzi, here is a link to a spaetzel board that looks like it would be uber easy to use. I'm thinking about ordering one to try. I tried a potato ricer without a lot of success. This looks like it might be easier to do.
Nana’s Pasta Maker – Spaetzle Board for Homemade Pasta & Dumplings
that looks like a winner, looks easy enough right?
Im definitely gonna try....Im sure my kids would love it, the only thing is I dont have a rice cooker:(
yep, as said already, you don't need a rice cooker, just a potato ricer if that's what you're looking for.
My grandmother that just passed away taught me how to make them. When you make the dough in a bowl just take a teaspoon and scrape a little bit off the side of the bowl. It's very time consuming and when I make them I have to make 3 batches. I did buy a spaetzle maker that's been shown but they come out really fine. My family likes them a little bigger.
I'll never forget the first time I made them on my own. I used 1/2 a teaspoon full of dough and they were HUGE!! I'll never live that down. lol I didn't realize at the time how they swelled up when boiled. I always make these when I make Chicken Paprikash.Barb

That's a cute story. I have made huge old big spaetzle myself, plus I've done one batch that turned out all sizes, go figure. < I think I got bored and just hurried toward the end.

rummaged through my stuff and found these two.
but again, I'm probably doing something wrong here but the ricer to me, did nothing helpful. it could have been the consistency of the dough though, not sure.

Attachments

• treasures from yesterday 034.jpg
    treasures from yesterday 034.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 191
  • treasures from yesterday 033.jpg
    treasures from yesterday 033.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 188
That's a different type of spaetzle maker from what I pictured above. On mine, the flat base would be covered with holes for the batter to pass through and the travelling slide would be open at the bottom to let the batter flow through to the holes. That requires a batter rather than a dough.

Yours looks like it would slice off pieces of dough to make the spaetzle. Different strokes...

Last edited:
That's a different type of spaetzle maker from what I pictured above. On mine, the flat base would be covered with holes for the batter to pass through and the travelling slide would be open at the bottom to let the batter flow through to the holes. That requires a batter rather than a dough.

Yours looks like it would slice off pieces of dough to make the spaetzle. Different strokes...
Andy, I didn't do a very good picture of it. The top of it [how it's shown here] is a clear plastic piece that goes on over the 'hole' where the batter does go. I left it on, not realizing it would show so badly. Should have taken off for better viewing.
You put the batter in, put the clear plastic thing on top and push down gently sliding it back and forth as it hits the liquid underneath I suppose.

Thanks for explaining. I got that already. What I was saying is that the tool in post #4 is covered with holes and has no pusher. It's intended for a batter that wil run through the holes without pushing. Yours is looks like it's intended for a dough that has to be pushed down and the is sliced off in little pieces at the two ends of the flat piece.

Did that tool come with a recipe?

oh good Andy, no, when you buy something at a garage sale, you have to try to figure that out yourself I guess:(yours has no pusher, hum, maybe this is made or meant to be for dough, a thicker substance than a batter, you may have something there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom