I want to switch to brown rice but I'm timid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Sizzlin,

Hope your maiden voyage with brown rice went well. I am somewhat of a brown rice fanatic. I have probably cooked close to 7-8 thousand pots of rice in my life. While some people may achieve good results using a rice cooker I have found that the heat is set too high, which makes you have to add way more water than I like.

For many years I would never measure. Just put rice in pot, add water, pinch of salt, and cook. I would wait until the aroma from the pot was just right and voila, perfect rice. This method takes a lot of practice and you must watch the pot very closely.

Now I like to just set and forget until done, so I now use the following formula:

1 volume (whatever you cook) of brown rice
1.5X the volume of rice - water (I know 2/1 is more common)
pinch of salt.

Bring to full boil, then turn to low simmer for 50 minutes. Done, perfect.
It is easy, especially if you have a preset simmer setting on your stove. You may have to adjust the time to fit your stove.

Best wishes for the New Year!

I love brown rice, but not in many of the things I use white rice for. I don't think of it so much as a substitute for white rice, but rather as something related but different. Kind of like comparing mashed potatoes and french fries. I love them both but wouldn't care to have ketchup on my mashed potatoes or gravy on my french fries.

:)Barbara

I don't go crazy over rice although I do like it. It's just not something I crave. I do like the nuttier flavor of brown, and especially like it in a mix of different grains. There are a just a couple things that I really prefer white rice with . . . gumbo, fried rice and jambalaya. Other then that it's brown.

Back
Top Bottom