"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Cook

Ideas anyone (spaghetti or penne)

Hello all . Today i was looking at some of the things stored on my shelf for something to make tomorrow. I came across some spaghetti and some penne. I wasnt sure what exactly to do with them but i was thinking about maybe a nice and easy cream sauce. I may even change it up a bit with like a herb-cream sauce or a cheese-cream sauce. Obviously these are not new ideas, so i was wondering if anyone had any recipes like this. Honestly I really don't care that much as long as it has penne or spaghetti in it (possibly both), and preferrably a cream sauce or a version on it.

Until next time
Chef Out

Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Cbz

This is a favorite of mine, my friends, and my family. It calls for ziti, but penne will work just as well.

CBZ

1 pound dry ziti pasta
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pint heavy cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cube chicken bouillon
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 large heads broccoli, steamed
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts - breaded and fried

1 In a large pot of salted boiling water, place pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until pasta is al dente. Drain.

2 In a large skillet, saute garlic in butter over medium heat. Stir in the heavy cream, chicken broth and bouillon. Add parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add cornstarch (adjust amount to thicken sauce to your liking). Simmer all together for about 20 minutes.

3 Once sauce is cooked and thickens, add broccoli, stir all together and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Once sauce is done, put cooked ziti pasta in a large bowl, pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat and mix. Then add the chicken pieces and mix all together.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Master Chef

Here is a recipe that was posted by PA Baker.

Baked Penne with Broccoli and Three Cheeses

2 tsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced (I used less)
2 c penne pasta
3 c 1” broccoli florets
2 c purchased marinara sauce
1 c (packed) coarsely grated low-fat mozzarella
½ c low-fat ricotta cheese
½ c chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan

Stir oil and garlic in small skillet over medium heat, 1 minute. Set aside. Cook penne in large pot of boiling water until almost tender, about 11 minutes. Add broccoli, cook 1 minute, drain.

Mix marinara, ½ c mozzarella, ricotta, basil, 1 Tbsp Parmesan and sautéed garlic in large bowl. Add pasta and broccoli, toss. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to an 11x7x2” glass baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.

Preheat oven to 400F. Bake pasta uncovered until cheese melts, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Here is one of my favorite recipes. No reason why you couldn't substitute penne or spaghetti noodles for the rigatoni.

Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Tomato

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, sliced
8 oz. Italian sausage
14-oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes
½ cup white wine
½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
12 oz. rigatoni
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until tender. Add the sausage to pan and cook, turning frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato, wine, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste, and stir. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. While the sauce is cooking, cook the rigatoni in a large pan of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and return to pan. Add the sauce to hot pasta. Toss well to combine. Serve sprinkled with the combined fresh parsley and grated Parmesan.

Serves: 4

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
Cook

Me thinks

Hmm they all sound delicious, not sure which one to cook up . Well while i think, i'd like to thank you all for taking time to submit ideas. Once again thanks alot, and this is definately not the only time that im going to need help, so you guys and gals might be working overtime.
Adios.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #6
Head Chef

How about a simple penne with vodka cream sauce and sweet peas.

1 quart simple marinara sauce
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Simmer tomato sauce and vodka in skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted and well blended.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:18 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
How about a simple penne with vodka cream sauce and sweet peas.

1 quart simple marinara sauce
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Simmer tomato sauce and vodka in skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted and well blended.
no! he's only 14, lol! he can't use vodka yet!
how about a simple fettucine alfredo? all you need is fettucine, (spinch fettucine has alot of eye-appeal as opposed to regular), heavy cream, parmesan cheese, butter, salt and pepper. you can add a dash of nutmeg if you'd like.
you can add steamed shrimp or broiled chicken for a more substanstial meal.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #8
Cook

Thanks for the suggestion, just a couple questions.

Wow that sounds quick, easy and delicious, I just need to know how i should prepare it.
My best guess is to just cook the pasta until its al dante. Then i will put some cream and a little bit of butter into a saucepan. Once the butter melts I can add a little less parmeasan cheese then i had cream(maybe 1/2 or 3/4?) and season it how i want. Then once the cheese has melted and is fully encorporated into the sauce I just pour the sauce over the pasta and top it with the chicken or shrimp.
One other thing to, I was wondering if i could substitute the fettucine for penne possibly to hold the sauce to the pasta better, instead of letting it just drip to the bottom; or will the texture change all?

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." - Woody Allen
mitch_the_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:07 AM   #9
Head Chef

Oops, didn't know your age. You can always make it without the vodka just use the marinara cream and cheese.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #10
Hospitality Queen

Mitch, in my opinion, use whatever pasta you want! A lot of chefs will tell you a meal is ruined if the wrong pasta is selected, but honestly, if you're in the mood for penne, or rigatoni, or bowties, use 'em. It's your meal.
Please tell us how you did - we love to hear success stories!

Tags
None