"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Ideas for lentils?

I bought a lb. of lentils awhile back, knowing that they are healthy, and wanted to try to incorporate some more nutritious ingredients into my menus. So its about 5 months later and I'd like to use them. Problem is, I have extremely little experience with this ingredient, and really don't even know what a lentil tastes like on its own. Most of the lentils I've had were in lentil soups, which were ok, but they weren't very exciting.

So I'm looking for ideas or recipes that you use lentils in... like I said, I'm fairly unfamiliar with them, but I'd like to keep the flavors fresh and vibrant if possible, but not overpowering the natural flavor of the lentil, as that is something I would like to experience as well.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I often prepare brown rice and lentils seasoned with lite soy for a dinner side and then have the left overs for breakfast the next day. The brown rice has a nice nutty flavor and the lentils lite soy go very well together. I cook 1 cup of brown rice to 1/2 cup of lentils and add about a tablespoon or two of lite soy.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Executive Chef

l love lentils.I like to chop some onions,carrots and celery saute lightly. Then cook lentils with a little chicken,beef or vegetable broth after lentils are done add the vegies with some fresh garlic,some cumin,salt & pepper if desired add some fresh diced fresh tomato. The next day when it's cold add a little balsamic or italian dressing for a cold side salad.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Lentil Soup 8 cups water ( or chicken or beef broth may be used instead of or in a combo with the water)
2 cups lentils
1 medium onion chopped fine
8 cloves of garlic ( more or less is fine)
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Rince lentils.
Add all ingredients ( except salt)
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 60-90 minutes or until lentils are soft. Then add salt.

You can add ham or sausage if you wish and amounts are really all up to you. I always have extra garlic and onions in mine and sometimes celery too.

Add one tsp of vinager to each bowl at serving time.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Lentil chili. Yum!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoy lentils cooked in plain water with a touch of salt and towards the end of cooking add garma masala to taste....
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Executive Chef

brown rice with lentil curry is really good. (you can add any veg you want to the lentil curry...zucchini, potato, nuts like cashews, etc.)

lentils cooked with ham and broth.

Lentils and rice are like beans and rice...a natural
Old 01-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Surprised!

I have always been able to get lentils at the grocery store I shop regularly. Now they quit carrying them as the manager told me not good seller? I had to go to Whole Foods and was lucky to get them. The container was almost empty except for amount I got. People in general probably don't know what they are or don't like to fool w/them.

I was wondering, I always soak mine overnight to use next day. Is this wrong and am I throwing the best part away?

thanks for all different ideas. I normally make soup w/ham, bacon, potatoes, vegetables, and of course lot of garlic.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy mine from an Indian market..they have many sizes etc..
I have never soaked them...don't know why...as I soak other dry beans.
I buy very small ones and they cook fairly fast!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
I was wondering, I always soak mine overnight to use next day. Is this wrong and am I throwing the best part away?
No, it is ok to soak without loss of anything important. It is hardly necessary to do this since lentils boil easily anyway. However, whether you soak or not, begin the cooking process by adding water to the lentils and bring them to a boil, then remove from heat and strain in a colander discarding the water. This process will reduce the gas produced during digestion.

Tags
None