"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 07-31-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I make my own, or I buy fresh pasta or I buy dried.... depends on what I'm cooking - and how much time I am willing to spend making the stuff!

I have visited Italy more times than I can count - and MANY of the restaurants seem to serve dried pasta. As long as it is made by good companies, like Barilla - who add enough egg to the pasta before they dry it - I have no problems eating the stuff!

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #12
There is no beating fresh pasta for certain things. Canneloni, or in chicken soup as was mentioned. Some dishes are just easier with dried pasta.

I think the deal is the recipe used for the fresh pasta. I have had some that was not so good, and some that was exceptional. I think Ishbel has hit it on the nose, eggs are the key. More eggs makes for a much tastier noodle.

What an interesting thread this is. I would never have thought of asking this question. Thanks for bringing it up.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
Sous Chef
As far as I'm concerned fresh pasta and dried pasta are completely different things.

Dried pasta (and I'm talking dried pasta made without egg) is not any worse than fresh pasta (made, of course, with egg). They have different uses in different pasta dishes, dried works better with some dishes (heartier and bolder sauces and ragus, especially with meat) while fresh works better with others (a lighter oil, cream or butter based sauce perhaps).
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 AM   #14
Sous Chef
For flat noodles/spaghetti/angel hair, etc. IMHO homemade egg pasta beats anything you can buy. An excellent discussion re homemeade pasta is Who makes their own pasta? I need your help! [start at pg 2] - after years of effort, that's where I learned the right way!

Commercial fresh pasta is too thick for my taste. Dried pasta is the way to go for shapes that aren't basically flat noodles or spaghetti.

I periodically make a large batch of egg noodle pasta and freeze the dough in 8oz portions. It keeps frozen for 3 months (longest I've kept it - would probably last longer-my guess would be up to 6 mos). Not a convenience food like dried b/c you have to remember to defrost it (will keep, defrosted, in the 'frig about 3 days). In the time it takes the water to boil I've rolled and cut the pasta with my hand-cranked machine and it cooks in only a few minutes (much faster than dried).

I also make and freeze homemade ravioli (using homemade pasta) tho' the fillings I use don't contain meat. I think the thread link I posted also discusses this. Frozen ravioli is a true convenience food since you jjust cook it in it's frozen state in simmering water.

Another excellent DC link re fresh pasta...
Fresh Lasagna Noodles

gnocchi are small, shaped potato dumplings, not pasta, but since a prior poster mentioned them in this thread, here's 2 excellent posts from Darkstream about them

subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote