ISO alternative rice with a mexican meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I used to make spanish rice (with diced tomato) with mexican meals but my wife doesn't care much for spanish rice. what other kind of rice would be suitable for a mexican meal?

What about a rice cooked in chicken broth then when done tossed with some cilantro, lime, black beans and some homemade salsa? I like to add sauteed kielbasa to make this a meal.

But - I normally caramelize onions and green or red peppers - but that might be too Spanish "ricey" for your wife. I would do the caramelized onions if that suits her taste though. Just the rice with caramelized onions, cilantro, and lime makes a nice side dish (and of course, salt and pepper to taste).

Try frying the rice in a bit of oil for 5 minutes or so, toss in some tomato sauce, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder (or fresh if you wish), chicken broth and throw in a whole jalapeño pepper for an aromatic mexican rice. Top with cilantro and sliced lime. We serve ours with refried pinto beans and fresh corn tortilla quesadillas.

Or you might first toast the rice in achiote oil. This will give it a yellow color and a slightly nutty flavor. Then if you want, you could add any or all of the ingredients kitchenelf or Dina mentioned. Personally I don't care for much tomato in the rice. Here is a recipe for Yellow rice with corn.

Here's a great green rice dish. It looks good, it has a nice flavor (i.e. it's not overwhelming and goes nicely with just about anything).

4 pobalano chilies, or 4 green peppers
4 c chicken (I use vegetable) stock
1 c fresh parsley, coursely chopped
1/2 c onion, coursely chopped
1/4 t garlic, finely minced
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1/4 c olive oil
2 c long grain rice

Roast the chilies or peppers. Remove their skins, stems, seeds and thick white membranes and discard. Chop the chilies into chunks. Combine 1 c of the pepper chunks, 1/2 c stock in blender and whirl on high speed for 15 seconds. Gradually add the remaining chilies, parsley, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until the mixture is reduced to a smooth puree.

Pour the oil into a 2-3 qt casserole and set it over moderate heat. When the oil is hot (but not smoking) add the rice and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until the grains are coated with oil. Don't let them brown. Add the pureed chili mixture and simmer, stirring constantly, for five minutes.

Bring the remaining 3 1/2 c of stock to boil and pour over the rice. Return to a boil, cover the casserole, and reduce the heat to its lowest point. Simmer undisturbed for 18 to 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid. Before serving, fluff the rice with a fork.

You can keep the rice warm in a 250 degree F oven, just remove the cover and drape the pan loosely with a towel.

:heart:
Z

A frequent rice dish I make that goes with just about anything and would be great as a mexican side is ranch rice. Cook your rice and then when it's done you add some ranch salad dressing mix (the powder) and butter. It is light and flavorful. Then if you want something a little more hearty, add some cream cheese and sour cream to the mix for a cheesy version. My family loves it when I make rice this way and there is usually none left.

Black beans with white rice tossed with lime, garlic, and cilantro. Add onion salt to taste. Yum!

I just saute several good sized white onions diced, in butter, then I add the rice stir to coat with butter and add my chicken broth. Cover and cook til done..I then check and re season with salt and pepper and sometimes I'll add a little extra butter..My whole family loves it this way..You can also slice up some mushrooms and saute them with the onion, just make sure to cook til any mushroom liquid evaporates.
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom