ISO baked bean recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have a pound each of navy beans and northern beans. I'd like to make some baked beans (Bush's brand taste preferably) and need some recipes. I'd like this bean dish to go well with hotdogs and brisket sandwiches. Thanks.

Here's a recipe I cut out of a Field & Stream in 1983. No credit was given to anyone, so I hope it's OK to post it. This made the most awesome beans I ever ate, but I never got the knack of cooking it underground with coals like the recipe called for, which is I why I changed it to say cook until done. I always had to finish them off by the campfire or cook them in an oven if I was making them at home. They were always a big hit when I took them over to the folks on Christmas. Or maybe just the fact that they were served out of a big, black, cast iron DO was :cool:

But to be honest with you. I just use Bush's now :LOL: I just had some for lunch with extra bacon, hot dogs, onions and barbeque sauce added :)

Hope I can transfer this out of Word OK....

Bean Hole Beans

2 lbs (4 cups) navy beans
3 1/2 qts water (more or less)
2 onions
6 whole cloves
½ lb salt pork
2 lbs cooked ham chunks or hot dogs (optional)
1 tsp salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup dark molasses
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
1 cup chili sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches

The following day drain the beans and put in a pot. Add about 3 qts of water, cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour

Stick the cloves in the onions and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven

Pour the beans and cooking liquid into the Dutch oven

Cut a couple deep slashes in the salt pork and poke it into the beans

(If you wish add your ham or hot dogs)

Mix the remaining ingredients with ½ cup of boiling water and pour over the beans

If necessary add more boiling water to cover beans

Cover and cook until done

Serves 12-14

QSis!
I had lost the recipe and the thread so I posted a new request. Thanks for bringing it out again.

Thanks jenny and pacanis!

Lots of similarities, huh? Can't go wrong.
And if I've saved an old magazine page from 1983..... explain to me how you lost a good recipe from a couple years ago :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom