"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Peas are also great in risotto, always toss some in with mine.
Peas, smoked ham, and shaved parm go into my fave risotto.

OP, just remember to keep it moving, it should be tight but not like wall paper paste, finish with a knob of butter for an even creamier mouth feel, and don't be scared. It's lunch and dinner, not life and death.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I feel like heavy cream works better for adding a fatty type mouth feel than butter. But I put neither in my risotto anymore, prefer to go au natural

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
To each their own, come the end of the day, fat will be fat, I just think the butter isn't as heavy as, well, heavy cream. I too go au natural these days, on the few occasions that I do a risotto at home.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
To each their own, come the end of the day, fat will be fat, I just think the butter isn't as heavy as, well, heavy cream. I too go au natural these days, on the few occasions that I do a risotto at home.
Whew--for a minute there, I thought you and no mayo were au natural doing risotto (the curse of having taken a speed-reading course). I have to say that risotto is one of those dishes I can take or leave. But I am tempted to try the barley one...especially while in MN when the wild asparagus is season and dare I hope, the morel mushrooms...
Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Wine Guy

There's absolutely nothing difficult about making risotto. If you can stir a pan and add ingredients, you've got it licked. The two problems I see most often when people try to make risotto is that they attempt to make it with too many other things going on and get distracted. Or they let it sit too long after it's finished and it turns into a gloopy lump.

And I'm sorry to say it, but pressure cooker risotto seems like a lot more work than making the simple traditional dish.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Frank's recipe describes how I make risotto. I like to use spring veggies, especially this time of year. I steam asparagus, peas and green beans in the microwave and add them when the rice is almost done. Finish with some Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of chopped parsley and you have a beautiful, tasty dish.
Here's a pic of my spring risotto:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scallop-risotto-1200w.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	17557  
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

^^ Oh boy, my ham smells delicious as it's cooking, but I'd give it up in a minute for a plate that looked just like that.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
^^ Oh boy, my ham smells delicious as it's cooking, but I'd give it up in a minute for a plate that looked just like that.
Thank you This thread has inspired me to make risotto today, too. We'll be having it with braised lamb shoulder chops.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
If you have a pressure cooker this recipe is easy peasy. Picture below is my first risotto try ever. Couldn't be easier.

Saffron and Mushroom Risotto
Pressure-Cooker Method

1 TBSP. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1 cup Arborio rice
2 1/4 cups chicken stock
Scant 1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron
1/8 tsp. ground peppercorn blend
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBSP. butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese
6 - 8 sliced mushroom caps (or to taste), sautéed in butter

Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over high heat.

Add the onion, cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes.

Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds until the outer edges turn translucent.

Add the stock, wine (cut wine), and saffron.

Cover and bring to high pressure over high heat.

Reduce heat to stabilize pressure. Cook 7 minutes.

Quick-release pressure and remove cover.

Stir in ground peppercorns, salt, butter, Romano and Parmesan cheeses.
Add mushrooms at the end.

Let sit for 2 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 Servings

Thanks MsM ! This looks like the perfect recipe to break in my new electric pressure cooker that I've never used. I've never made Risotto, or used a pressure cooker so it shows how much faith I have in your cooking.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Head Chef

Thank you all for the recipes, links and just encouragement! The store didn't have any decent looking mushrooms so we just followed the basic recipe, added a blob of butter and a couple of handfuls of Parm at the end and enjoyed.

I honestly thought it was going to be much more complicated than it actually was and DH and I agree that it is a canvas that can be completed with so many things. One thing I noted ... We started with 2 cups of Arborio and added 8 1/2 cups of liquid total (1/2 of wine, 8 of chicken stock) and while it was good, not gummy or mushy, I think we could have stopped at 7 or even 6 of the stock. It is a lot creamier than some of the pics I've seen.

In the end, though, delicious and certainly worth trying again! I can hardly wait for our asparagus!

Thank you all again!

Tags
beginner, recipe, risotto

ISO Beginner Level Risotto Recipe So DH and I are on Spring Break and doing a gastronomical tour from home. Last night we made falafel with the fixings and have some Greek ideas for Monday. Tonight, however, we would like to head to Italy and try our hand at risotto. I bought Arborio rice but have no idea where to go from there. We are looking for an entry level recipe that doesn't call for a ton of unusual ingredients (we live in a midwest town of 2000 people so the grocery is pretty vanilla and I can say that because it's my dad's store :smile:). Also, any helpful hints out there? Thank you! 3 stars 1 reviews