ISO black bean help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
Acidic ingredients added to uncooked beans will prevent the beans from softening. Your grandmother's addition of the baking soda ensured properly cooked beans. The baking soda does not help with the gas crisis.

From the site I posted above. I guess there are lots of opinions still.

There are three "facts" you'll often hear about cooking dried beans, such as kidney and great northern beans. It turns out they are all myths.
  1. You must soak beans before cooking. You can soak beans of course but the only advantage it provides is to shorten the cooking time. There's no reason not to start cooking dry beans directly as long as you have the time to simmer them long enough.
  2. You must not add salt to beans during cooking or they will not soften. Tests show that the only difference between beans cooked side by side with and without salt is that one is salty and the other is not. Some people feel that salting during cooking gives better flavor because some of the salt ends up inside the beans.
  3. You must not add acid, such as tomatoes, to beans during cooking or they will not soften. Acid does in fact have an effect on beans, tending to keep the skins intact, while alkaline substances (baking soda) help the skins to break down. In both cases however the beans cook perfectly well. You can use this to your advantage, adding tomatoes during or after cooking depending on whether you want whole beans or mushy beans.
However, soaking can help reduce the "gas attack" effect that some people experience after eating beans. Bring dry beans and water to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit for an hour. Drain, add fresh water, and continue cooking. This removes some of the chemicals in the beans that cause the gas.
Source: How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, Macmillan, 1998.

Gretchen said:
...Acid does in fact have an effect on beans, tending to keep the skins intact, while alkaline substances (baking soda) help the skins to break down...

Supports what I said. It prevents their softening...

Reading on to the next line, however, we find what is below. So we can both be correct which is always nice.

In both cases however the beans cook perfectly well.

I ussually soak for 8-10 hours, can this be causing a problem with gas. The gas that is experienced is not normal, it is almost painfull, at least that is what my mother tells me.:)

Tommy, I do believe you have a sensitive stomach like mine. The only way to avoid getting flatulence is to eat beans less frequently or not at all.

boufa06 said:
Tommy, I do believe you have a sensitive stomach like mine. The only way to avoid getting flatulence is to eat beans less frequently or not at all.

This is not completely true. Products such as Beano and Bean-Zyme contain an enzyme which break down the complex sugars in certain foods such as beans, cabbage, onions and other "gassy foods" into less complex sugars and components which the human digestive system can digest. These products greatly reduce or eliminate the butt trumpet effect of these foods.

Aurora said:
This is not completely true. Products such as Beano and Bean-Zyme contain an enzyme which break down the complex sugars in certain foods such as beans, cabbage, onions and other "gassy foods" into less complex sugars and components which the human digestive system can digest. These products greatly reduce or eliminate the butt trumpet effect of these foods.

This is the first time that I heard of Beano. After looking it up in a few sources, it appears that it is not a harmful substance after all. Perhaps I should give it a try. The problem is that it's not easily available where I live. I will probably have to ask a friend to either send or bring it to me. Thanks to all of you who brought this product to my attention.

boufao6- maybe it's time to ask our local pharmacies to start importing Beano. Fava, blackeyed peas,chickpeas, lentils ,fasolada and gigantes have such a major role in our greek diet that it seems a shame to me that we can't find some relief from the nasty side effects more easily, When I go to the states. I usually bring Beano back with me.but if it were available here, maybe more people would return to eating with the mediterranean diet.

I have read where adding Vinegar to the soak will help eliminate the problems caused by the oligosaccharides(that's the gas causing complex sugar). The beans should still soften during the cooking process, just be sure to rinse well after soaking. I haven't tried it, I don't have huge problems with beans.

I'm fortunate in that beans and legumes don't seem to cause me problems but I remember old cookbooks saying to add baking soda while they are cooking to (allegedly) eliminate the problem.

Fraidy

The baking soda does work. But the problem is that it also destroys the nutrients in beans. Eventually your system does get used to eating beans and other roughage. Try to eat them often enough and it will happen for you also. I used to make baked beans every Saturday for the family. Because of all the roughage I fed the family, gas was never a problem with the beans.

Good luck. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom