"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
ISO Bush's baked beans recipe

I got some navy beans today hoping they're the ones to use on Bush's baked beans recipe. Does anyone have that recipe or a similar recipe calling for brown sugar, molasses, bacon, spices, etc? Do I have to cook the beans before I add all the flavorings to them, or do I do this during the cooking process? I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Dina

Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Head Chef

The ingredients you listed are those used in Boston Baked Beans. Once you have made your own homemade beans, you will be spoiled.

You can substitute bacon for salt pork. If you like your beans on the wet side, add more water during the baking process.

For an additional treat, get a can of brown bread, slice the bread, toast it, and spread with butter. Serve with good hot dogs or knockwurst.

Lee

Boston Baked Beans

1 pound (2 cups) dry navy beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup molasses
chunk of salt pork
1 large onion, large diced

Soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Cover again with water, add a little salt, and cook till tender, 30 mins. at least. Drain again. Put in beans in an oven-proof beanpot or Dutch oven with the diced onions and half of the salt pork. diced. Score other half of the salt pork.

Mix the brown sugar, dry mustard, and molasses with two cups of water. Pour over the beans and mix in. Place the scored salt pork on top of the beans. Cover and bake at 300* for about 4-5 hours, until beans are very tender, adding water as necessary. You can do this in a crock pot, too, for about 10 hours on low or 6-7 hours on high.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Dang, and I thought yo had to ask Duke !!! All that time wasted bribing that darn ole dog!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

You're the best QSis! Thank you for posting the recipe. And yes, I'll be so spoiled after making these from scratch-no more canned baked beans at this dinner table. The beans are soaking, as we speak, and I'll let you know how they turn out tomorrow.

Woohoo Robo! And we didn't even have to ask Duke, huh?! LOL

Dina
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Executive Chef

some recipes cut back on the brown sugar and add ketchup (which is sweet) or just add some tomato paste. And of course there are those of us who will use smokey bacon instead of salt pork, and add some garlic which goes with everything except brownies.

but yes: make your own and you will find the cans hard to return to. and your house will smell sooooooo gooooooooooooood!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My house has been smelling good all afternoon. I did add a couple of cloves of fresh garlic, ketchup and smoked bacon instead of salt pork. The baked beans are done and oh, they're so yummy! I will never go back to canned beans again.

Dina
Old 11-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

You can freeze containers of beans, too, Dina, and they are perfect when thawed and reheated. Just add a little more water.

You think your kitchen smelled good with the beans? You ought to try another centuries-old New England tradition ....Indian Pudding! 'Tis the season for it, too.

Lee
Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Alright Lee! I'm drooling with your Indian pudding...can I get the recipe?

Dina
Old 11-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Executive Chef

it's a sweet corn meal pudding sometimes with raisins etc. so good.

recipe please!!
Old 11-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Yummy! I was fixing to make some brownies but this sounds like something I'd like to try. And better yet, I've got all the ingredients here. Would you hand me the recipe, please?!

Tags
None