"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I had some last night cold with my steak, I put in some sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, cucumber, red onion, coriander and lime juice.

I also like almond or pine nuts , dried apricots and whatever herbs I've got on hand plus a little lemon or lime juice and some verjuice.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
You can replace the water with chicken broth. Make a couscous salad, stuff mushrooms, stuffed tomatoes, etc, etc., etc. I add pine nuts and/or raisins, shredded carrots... Even mangos or apples are interesting. Here's are several ideas:

Near East - Rice Pilaf and Couscous

And I forgot...

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Eggplant
Couscous and Tomato Stuffed Eggplant
(Lemon zest Yum!)

Or Stuffed Zukes
raspberry eggplant: Couscous-Stuffed Globe Zucchini
(Feta & chickpeas Yum!)

(Aren't these globe zukes cute!)

Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
Head Chef

Sometimes Ill make like a ' tabouli ' using couscous instead.
Ill prepare the couscous, let it cool down, add some chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, lemon, mint, olive oil, onions or scallions and sometimes feta and just mix it up, let it sit in the refrigerator a few hours...
Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 AM   #14
Executive Chef

My all time favourite couscous dish is:

Cook couscous in chicken stock. Drain and remove to a bowl that you can put a lid or a cover on to keep the couscous warm in, in which you have added a splash of olive oil and a dob of butter. Fork this through, adding more oil and/or butter as necessary, along with salt and pepper, parsley and chives. Put to one side. In a skillet, fry up some bacon pieces and add to the couscous. Next, cook some scallops in a little bit of garlic and butter. Only just cook them on one side until they opaqueness is about half-way up the side of the scallop. Turn over and cook very brief, just to colour this side. Add to the couscous, along with a handful of halved cherry tomatoes. Mix well, taste for seasoning, and serve immediately. You can also add some prawns into this mix as well, and a little bit of grated parmesan over the top when serving is quite nice too.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I had to make up a batch of couscous at work for New Year's Eve. The boss wanted a dried cherry couscous. I measured out the water I needed, and added some dried cherries to that. After about 20 minutes, when the cherries had rehydrated a bit, I put the whole thing on a burner and brought it up to a boil. Add in the couscous, and I also added some toasted pine nuts, covered, and waited 5 minutes. I was ok, but had I not been quite so rushed, I would have done a few more things to it as well.

Tags
None