"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,161
ISO Creamy Cheesy Lasagna

i'm craving cheeses and creamy,buttery things a lot these days,i love lasagna,but have never made it myself,well i have a rough idea,but need an authentic,good tasting recipe.
anybody?

__________________

__________________
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
This isn't buttery, but there is a ton of cheese in it. This is the recipe my mom always made me for my birthday every year, and fortunately she gave me the recipe so I can make it now that she is gone.

Barbara

Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 can (2 cups) tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
9 lasagna noodles
pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 pound cottage cheese (I usually use a whole large carton)
cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:
Brown beef. Add onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Cook noodles, following directions on package. Drain and separate.
In 9x12 baking dish (glass or metal) arrange of the sauce, then noodles, mozzarella, cottage cheese, and cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat, ending with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serves 8
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I use the recipe on the back of the box...I figure they know best...it's their product.
This is not a 30 mintute dish...This is a dish you want to put your "whole heart into".
I generally doctor up Prego Sauce with Italian Sausage, mushrooms, and a little extra seasoning.
I mix ricotta cheese with frozen, defrosted chopped spinach (wring all the liquid out in a tea towel), a beaten egg, S&P, and a good amount of shredded parmesan cheese.
I have always cooked the lasagna noodles, then sunk them in cold water, but now I understand that you can actually use uncooked noodles if your sauce is juicy enough.
So...spray your pan, and preheat the oven to 350. Put a little sauce in the bottom, then aded a layer of noodles. Dollap on some of the ricotta mixture, and spread out. Sprinkle liberally with grated mozzerella and a more tomato sauce. Repeat layers until you get to the top. Top with noodles, mozzerella, and grated parmesan. Cover with foil and cook 45 minutes, then uncover and cook until top is golden and bubbly.
Serve with small salad and garlic bread.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
This isn't buttery, but there is a ton of cheese in it. This is the recipe my mom always made me for my birthday every year, and fortunately she gave me the recipe so I can make it now that she is gone.

Barbara

Lasagna


Ingredients:

1 can (2 cups) tomatoes (whole or diced)
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon salt
teaspoon ground black pepper
9 lasagna noodles
pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 pound cottage cheese (I usually use a whole large carton)
cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Brown beef. Add onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Cook noodles, following directions on package. Drain and separate.

In 9x12 baking dish (glass or metal) arrange of the sauce, then noodles, mozzarella, cottage cheese, and cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat, ending with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.

Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


Serves 8

serves 8 or maybe just one ,...ok that sounds great,but theres only one thing,i really dont like cottage cheese,so any other cheese that i can substitute?
__________________
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
SierraCook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sierra Valley, Northern California, USA
Posts: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
serves 8 or maybe just one ,...ok that sounds great,but theres only one thing,i really dont like cottage cheese,so any other cheese that i can substitute?
Sarah, you can substitute ricotta cheese for the cottage cheese.
__________________
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Sara, you will like the ricotta better than the cottage cheese, but you can always just leave it out.

Here's a recipe that's a lot easier, and tastes as good as any lasagna you've ever eaten.

Ravioli Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce (Prego)
1 30 oz bag frozen cheese ravioli, unthawed
1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped (opt)
1 8 oz pkg mozzerella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 14x9 baking dish with
cooking spray and spoon in a third of the sauce. Arrange 12 ravioli on
top and scatter the spinach over them. Top with half of each cheese.
Cover with another layer of ravioli and remaining sauce and cheese.
Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more,
or until bubbly.

*Note: For a heartier dish, add 1 lb. each cooked, drained and crumbled
Italian sausage and ground chuck, to spaghetti sauce. A can of drained
mushrooms is good too, if you like.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
sarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Sara, you will like the ricotta better than the cottage cheese, but you can always just leave it out.

Here's a recipe that's a lot easier, and tastes as good as any lasagna you've ever eaten.

Ravioli Lasagna

Ingredients:
1 26 oz jar spaghetti sauce (Prego)
1 30 oz bag frozen cheese ravioli, unthawed
1 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped (opt)
1 8 oz pkg mozzerella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 14x9 baking dish with
cooking spray and spoon in a third of the sauce. Arrange 12 ravioli on
top and scatter the spinach over them. Top with half of each cheese.
Cover with another layer of ravioli and remaining sauce and cheese.
Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more,
or until bubbly.

*Note: For a heartier dish, add 1 lb. each cooked, drained and crumbled
Italian sausage and ground chuck, to spaghetti sauce. A can of drained
mushrooms is good too, if you like.
wow my mouth is watering,infact i wanna make something like that right now,but i dont have ravioli or even lasagna noodles right now,but i have fettuccini and some chicken breasts,and mozzrella and parmesan.so maybe i should make my own version of it using the things i have at hand,with the help of all these ideas.... ,and i can top it with some white sauce,what do u guys think?
__________________
Don't let love interfere with your appetite. It never does with mine.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:15 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
I prefer cottage cheese in mine, but yes you can use ricotta instead.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Sara..........I too don't like cottage cheese....I also don't care for the Ricotta cheese....something about the texture in my mouth. Anyway I just buy 2 bags of pre shredded Kraft Italian Blend Cheese and use it for the cheese layers.

Barbara....I'll definetely be trying your recipe with my tweak above. I usually just buy 2 jars of Ragu 7 Herb Sauce and doctor that up for my sauce mixture but yours sounds really good and I will be trying it.....thanks!
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
It is really super easy to make Sizz. Let me know how you like it. I have made it with ground buffalo also.

Barbara
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.