"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

This recipe looked good on TV the other afternoon.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Head Chef

Since the weather has turned hot, I've been playing around with a cold pasta salad - tri-color rotini, coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, carrots etc.), chopped onion, chopped cucumber in a mayo-y type dressing. You could serve grilled chicken slices on the side. If you're interested, I would be happy to share the recipe.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks Amy why not.

It is winter here so we are leaning towards hot meals but fire away. Plenty of people reading from the colder half of the world I am sure.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
Head Chef

This is the recipe I had in mind.

Pasta Cucumber Salad

I cheated & used readymade coleslaw, combined w tri-color rotini, minced onion, chopped pepper & chopped cucumber. You could give it a try with tortellini, if you like.

ETA: You might like/try a pasta primavera, & mix in some grilled chicken slices. Just a quick thought. :-)
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
Head Chef

K76 - here is a recipe I posted awhile back (but I searched and can't seem to find it). It's creamy, but not as thick and rich as true alfredo sauce. We loved it. You could easily double it for an entire family....

SKILLET CHICKEN ALMOST ALFREDO WITH VEGETABLES

1/2 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin into strips
2 TBS butter
Salt and pepper

3 TBS butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
˝ cup cream

I cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced julienne

˝ pound fettuccine noodles
˝ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Cook fettuccine noodles, broccoli and carrots together in a generous pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, drain.

Meanwhile, in a skillet that is large enough to accommodate entire dish, sauté chicken pieces in butter until done, stirring frequently. Season to taste. Do not overcook. Set aside.

In same skillet, add 3 TBS butter and sauté on medium heat garlic until almost caramelized. Add broth to deglaze skillet, let simmer a few minutes, scraping bottom of skillet. Then add cream and ˝ cup parmesan cheese, stir until slightly thickened.

Add chicken, stir in noodles and vegetables. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese and stir gently. Serves 2 generously.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks Karen that sounds great. But a quick question or two.

After Sauteing the chicken and removing, do you clean out the skillet and start fresh, or do you add the three TBS of butter to the butter that is left in from the chicken saute?

Otherwise sounds tasty. Not a broccoli fan, but im sure in this recipe you wont be able to taste them too much. Plus, I think this type of recipe (the creamy chicken fettuccine) needs some green.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
Head Chef

I just keep using the same skillet - the chicken will have absorbed most of the earlier butter, and the butter is actually the base for the sauce. I'm sure you could accomplish the whole thing with less butter, but why? LOL

For something green, you could also use asparagus or maybe some snow peas...either would be very good. My DH, by the way, usually does not care for heavy, creamy sauces (what is wrong with him?) but he loved this.

Here is a pic:

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I just keep using the same skillet - the chicken will have absorbed most of the earlier butter, and the butter is actually the base for the sauce. I'm sure you could accomplish the whole thing with less butter, but why? LOL
As Chef Jean Pierre says, a little bit of butter is good with butter!

I am going to be cooking one of these recipe's this weekend. I only cook on my weekends as the rest of the days I get home late from work. Can't wait.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I will be cooking one of these dishes tomorrow and at the moment I am leaning towards MexicoKarens dish for my first attempt. Mostly because it has the garlic that I am after and the recipe has sepcific measurements to follow. I am going to be replacing the broccoli with something else though. Maybe snow peas. I may alsoa dd some shallots to the garlic!

Thanks everyone for the great recipes. I am looking forward to this.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #20
Master Chef

Here is a classic Carbonara recipe. I've made similar recipes and they are very tasty indeed. Substitute your fettuchini for the spaghetti and you will have the makings of a deliscious meal. The only problem with this recipe is that I didn't create it, and so can't take credit for it. (just kidding). Her's the link: Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe - Start With Pasta Easy Recipes - Spaghetti Carbonara Entree Recipes

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None