Good Afternoon Sprout,
Thought that you may find this recipe quite interesting, though I have only tasted the dish in Lima, Peru, I have never prepared it at home ...
Restaurateur, Chef and author Gastón Acurío is a native of Miraflores Neighborhood, in Lima, Peru, which is where this Grain originates.
Gastón is known as the Ferrán Adriá of South America ... This salad has 402 calories, 10 grams of protein, 56 grams of carbs and 17 grams of fat.
CHEF GASTÓN ACURÍO´s QUINOA SALAD
*** Translated by: Margaux Cintrano.
1 cup quinoa ( health food store or Peruvian super market section )
1 cup Red Thai Rice or Brown Rice ( health food store )
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons of orange zest grated
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove minced ( this is personal taste ... if you wish to add more )
1/2 cup dried apricots sliced into 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup roasted pistachios chopped
4 scallions or spring onions sliced finely
2 cups of Arugula salad greens ( or any other lettuce that you like )
1. Need 2 separate medium sized sauce pans
2. boil 2 cups of salted water and add the quinoa to one of the saucepans and the Rice to the other sauce pan ( do not cook together )
3. Cover and simmer on low flame over moderate heat until tender; 12 minutes for Quinoa and 30 minutes for brown or red rice.
4. drain the grains, and spread on a baking sheet to cool
5. in a medium skillet, heat 1 tblsp of Evoo, and sauté onions, and cover and stir occasionally until golden, 8 mins.
6. in a large bowl, combine: OJ, ZEST, LEMON JUICE and GARLIC and remaining salt and pepper.
7. add the quinoa and the rice, apricots and scallions and pistachios and toss well
8. serve on bed of rucola = arugula or other lettuce and toss with EVOO and Balsamic Modena Italian Vinegar ...
I look forward to hearing your viewpoint.