ISO Freekah recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I am sooooo tired of basmati rice, quinoa, and couscous sides for the recipes I am test driving. I picked up some Freekah the other day because it cooks in 20 minutes. I haven't tested it, yet. Maybe I will to go with the quail breasts...anyone have advice on how to prepare it--is it better if you rinse it/soak it/toast it?

Me too. It could be pronounced super "freek-kay" like the song. OK, I am of absolutely no help.

Last edited:
I had to look this up. It appears to be an ancient process. I wonder if it has a smokey scent or flavor?

I wonder if the middle eastern market here carries it.

Pretty soon you can offer tabbouleh as a side in your dinners.

You could try farro as a side, but it takes about 45 minutes to cook. I recently used it in a soup, but Himself and I each nibbled a few spoonfuls of it plain. It's a little chewy, not hard so it would break a tooth, light nutty flavor, and was a nice addition in the soup. I've seen recipes using farro in salads, but I could see using it as a side. A few days back I made a rice blend, adding toasted almonds and Halo tangerine pieces to our portions as I plated it. Farro would adapt well to that treatment, too.

Now I'll have to look closer at the Freekeh in my store. Slowly, I'm working my way through ancient grains.

It takes a long time to cook and will always be slightly firm and chewy unless you cook it to mush, think something like instant oatmeal or instant grits. Even using the pressure cooker it took a while to get it soft enough for Craig. He wasn't thrilled with it, but to be fair he never much liked any of the whole grains I've tried to introduce. I thought it was okay, probably not something I'd want to eat all the time. It's got kind of a nutty flavor. I saved several recipes I want to try on my tablet, as well as the ones we have tried, which is charging right now so later I'll look on there and post where I found them. I think I posted on DC about us trying it. Will look after I post this and see if I can find the link(s).

Here's one. I really did like this soup.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-monday-13th-april-92749.html#post1417705

and here's the other. I liked this too.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-saturday-jan-31-a-92226.html#post1408320

Last edited:
I have no freekah clue. ;) Sorry could not help myself. Never ever even heard about. And just recently read a whole article about ancient and new grains.

It is supposed to have some tooth left so probably not for someone who doesn't like their grains to have some tooth left. I was looking for something that would cook in the same amount of time as basmati rice. I am going to test drive it in place of wheatberries in a side salad on Wednesday. I had read about it, but had never seen it in the store. I would like to try bamboo rice and jade rice, but they are both products of China...so I don't want to get addicted to them.

It takes a long time to cook and will always be slightly firm and chewy unless you cook it to mush, think something like instant oatmeal or instant grits. Even using the pressure cooker it took a while to get it soft enough for Craig. He wasn't thrilled with it, but to be fair he never much liked any of the whole grains I've tried to introduce. I thought it was okay, probably not something I'd want to eat all the time. It's got kind of a nutty flavor. I saved several recipes I want to try on my tablet, as well as the ones we have tried, which is charging right now so later I'll look on there and post where I found them. I think I posted on DC about us trying it. Will look after I post this and see if I can find the link(s).

Here's one. I really did like this soup.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-monday-13th-april-92749.html#post1417705

and here's the other. I liked this too.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-saturday-jan-31-a-92226.html#post1408320
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom