ISO help/advice making fried rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, your stove should be able to put out and maintain the level of heat needed for good FR.

Craig has used his outside gas burner unit to make it. That thing gets hot enough to turn cast iron white. He originally got it for blackening and for crawfish boils.

We've also started using the induction burner since it gets up to 575. Course you have to use a flat bottom, carbon steel wok.

While Jasmine and Basmati smell lovely while cooking, IMO there is not enough taste or smell difference, especially after sitting at least overnight and then adding all the other ingredients, to worry about. Their texture versus converted rice is mainly the thing for me.

I can taste and smell the fragrance of basmati rice for days. I can taste it in fried rice too. But other people's mileage may vary.

Well heck... I've been sick or dead for over 20 years now... :wacko:

Partially kidding... I have been refrigerating for the past 5 or so years.. I guess I was lucky for the previous 15 or so... :)

Ross

What Is Bacillus Cereus Food Poisoning? (with pictures)

"Fried Rice Syndrome is an excellent example of this type of Bacillus cereus food poisoning. Rice is often contaminated with this type of bacteria. If the rice is not refrigerated properly after being steamed, the bacteria thrives and multiplies rapidly. The hot and quick frying method used to make fried rice is also not enough to kill the bacteria."

I do the cook then freeze method because I never plan ahead for this recipe.

Some folks like their rice dark and some don't. You can address this by mixing dark and light soy sauces to get the desired result.

I use whatever I have on hand, white long grain or short grain. Spread it out on a sheet pan to cool, put it in the refrigerator overnight to dry and keep at a safe temperature. Then I use it the next day.

Would rice dry in i a fridge? I would have thought room temperature for a while before frying or in oven on low for a few minutes!

Would rice dry in i a fridge? I would have thought room temperature for a while before frying or in oven on low for a few minutes!
It dries just fine in the fridge. Don't leave it at room temperature for very long, because of the risk of food poisoning jennyema mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom