ISO help/advice making fried rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Too many forums to find a place for this.

Hi. I am trying to turn chinees now and would like to make fried rice (Sweet and sour mainly).

What is the best rice to use and why?

TIA

Paul

Last edited:
I use whatever I have on hand, white long grain or short grain. Spread it out on a sheet pan to cool, put it in the refrigerator overnight to dry and keep at a safe temperature. Then I use it the next day.

Basmati and jasmine Rice’s are both nice, but their unique fragrance can sometimes make for odd tasting fried rice, I’ve found. Any long grain rice will do, though. It’s best if it’s day-old.

Basmati and jasmine Rice’s are both nice, but their unique fragrance can sometimes make for odd tasting fried rice, I’ve found. Any long grain rice will do, though. It’s best if it’s day-old.

Yes...and if I don't have yesterday's rice, I will spread newly cooked rice on a sheet pan and allow it to dry..
Ross

I agree. Especially basmati rice's fragrance. Just not right for Chinese fried rice.

While Jasmine and Basmati smell lovely while cooking, IMO there is not enough taste or smell difference, especially after sitting at least overnight and then adding all the other ingredients, to worry about. Their texture versus converted rice is mainly the thing for me.

Just make absolutely sure it's refrigerated while you do this. Mishandled rice can cause a very nasty type of food poisoning.
Well heck... I've been sick or dead for over 20 years now... :wacko:

Partially kidding... I have been refrigerating for the past 5 or so years.. I guess I was lucky for the previous 15 or so... :)

Ross

While Jasmine and Basmati smell lovely while cooking, IMO there is not enough taste or smell difference, especially after sitting at least overnight and then adding all the other ingredients, to worry about. Their texture versus converted rice is mainly the thing for me.
I agree. The smell doesn't carry over after cooking and the additions of other ingredients.

Here is my simple, easy fried rice recipe.

Ms. Mofet's Fried Rice

img_1487375_0_9e35d3e669488642472286e410af7ec1.jpg

Well heck... I've been sick or dead for over 20 years now... :wacko:

Partially kidding... I have been refrigerating for the past 5 or so years.. I guess I was lucky for the previous 15 or so... :)

Ross

me too!

Caveat -
think it depends on what kind of rice you are making... many North Americans make a very dry rice - whereas most asian style if sticky.
Moisture content can easily be the guiltly suspect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom