ISO help/advice preparing lasagna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmaline

Assistant Cook
I've never managed to make a decent beef lasagne before in fact they've turned out really awful. This time I am going to use a bottle of ready made sauce instead of making my own. However, one thing I'm curious to know.. should I put the pasta sheets into boiling water for a few minutes before using them in the recipe?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thankyou.:neutral:

I've been making lasagna for years and have always used a recipe from a family member who comes from Italy.

She always cooks the noodles first, then places them on a clean, dry towel and pats them dry. One of the culprits to failed lasagna is too much moisture. It is surprising how much can come from the noodles.

Real lasagna should come out of the pan like a piece of cake when it is cut...all one nice piece.

As for cooking the noodles, don't cook them to mush. Cook them al dente (to the tooth), which means they have some firmness to them when you bite into them. You don't want them too soft because they'll cook more when the dish is baked.

Are you using traditional noodles or the no-boil ready to use noodles? Regardless, I have always placed both in boiling water, just a matter of time difference. For the traditional noodle I've always used about 2/3 of time noted in box cooking directions. For the no-boil noodles, just basically a quick 30-second r so dunk. I always lay out on paper towels and pat dry. I've found the no-boil noodles don't taste done to us if they don't get at least 30 seconds.

Ina Garten used the no-boil noodles on a recent show and she dunked them in a sheet pan that she had poured boiling water into, then dried them. That did look easier than trying to fish them out of a pan with boiling water.

Even though I use the no boil noodles, I boil the lasagna noodles so they are soft and pliable when I construct the lasagna. It's easier to handle them that way.

emmaline - you may find ready made sauces a bit on the sweet side. I dislike them for their sugar content.

I've been making lasagna for years and have always used a recipe from a family member who comes from Italy.

She always cooks the noodles first, then places them on a clean, dry towel and pats them dry. One of the culprits to failed lasagna is too much moisture. It is surprising how much can come from the noodles.

Real lasagna should come out of the pan like a piece of cake when it is cut...all one nice piece.

As for cooking the noodles, don't cook them to mush. Cook them al dente (to the tooth), which means they have some firmness to them when you bite into them. You don't want them too soft because they'll cook more when the dish is baked.

What was it about your lasagna that you didn't like?

The answer to that question GG was in Katie's post.. it came out all mushy.. obviously because I hadn't dried the sheets off properly it seems.

emmaline - you may find ready made sauces a bit on the sweet side. I dislike them for their sugar content.

I am aware of the nutritional ingredients as I log all my food because I count calories etc. in order to try to lose some more weight.

Thanks for all your replies.

emmaline - I think you have misunderstood Katie H's advice. If the lasagna came out "all mushy" then it's not due to drying the sheets but too overcooking them in the first place. "Al dente" means that the pasta should still be firm when you bite into the pasta, i.e. not too soft.

Patting the sheets dry would just mean less watery fillings.

Last edited:
I have 2 rules when making the lasagna.
I usually do ( from the bottom up) a little sauce, noodle layer, meat layer ( Not real meat cause Im veg, but really not important here), Another noodle layer, Cheese layer ( ricotta), Another noodle layer, then sauce on top. Bake till hot through and through. Last few minutes Mozzarella on top.

I agree with the noodles a little a la dente , as they will continue to cook and soften through the baking process.

My first rule, is that the cheese is the upper layer. I find when it is one of the lower layers, it kinda squirts out from all the pressure of everything on top of it.

My second rule, is it is good to let it sit a bit after you cook it. It seems to hold together better after it sits, than when it is immediately out of the oven.

And in reference to another ongoing thread, Lasagna is great the next day cold/ or room temp. ( or at least it is to me :) )

That sounds good! Presumably, by 'bulk italian sausage' you mean to take it out of its skin?

Thank you. I don't know if you have it available this way in England, but we can buy Italian sausage that is not in the skin. It's just seasoned fresh sausage in a plastic wrapper. But you can also remove it from the skins if that's the only way it's sold there.

I make this every year for DH's birthday. It's his favorite meal I make :wub:

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't know if you have it available this way in England, but we can buy Italian sausage that is not in the skin. It's just seasoned fresh sausage in a plastic wrapper. But you can also remove it from the skins if that's the only way it's sold there.

I make my lasagna with Italian skinless sausage as well. We get ours the same way you do, GG.

You can also make your own Italian sausage and season to your liking. But, you know that.;)

My lasagna tips:
Regular noodle sheets cooked just to el dente
Dry on PT
Rub OO on the lasagna pan to stop the L from sticking
I use glass oven prove pans
Thin layer of sauce
Layer of noodles
Thin layer of very patted dry cooked spinach
Thin layer of cooked fine ground chuck
Thin layer of mozza cheese.
Repeat until you until the top of the pan. I end up with three layers usually.
If you make the last ingredient a thin layer of sauce the cheese and noodles just underneath won't dry out and turn tough when the L is cooked in the oven.
Before I put the built L into the oven I always, using a very sharp knife precut the L into the portions I want to end up with. Then when ready to serve I'm not digging into the L and mushing it. If you know what I'm getting at.
When serving I always take a middle piece out first.
Then all the other pieces are easy to lift out with a flipper of some sort.

To keep the lasagna from getting too runny (other the noodles being dry) is watch how much sauce you put on each layer. Less is more if you want it to setup. Extra sauce can be ladled over the lasagna pieces before serving. Learned this from my Sicilian aunt who made the BEST lasagna.

Ms. Mofet's Baked Meat Lasagna (click)

img_1435433_0_934e445dab9621c8a91be00a0c84bc1f.jpg

I have made two lasagnes since my posting both of which were rather dismal! :huh:

The first one I put the white sauce into the beef mix which meant there was a good layer on each of the pasta sheets .. not that there was anything terribly wrong with that but unfortunately, not being a well person, by the time I got around to putting the rest into the freezer it had all gone sour! :ohmy:
The second, which was just yesterday, I put the whole packet of lasagne sheets into a pan of water all at once which meant I spent quite some time trying to prise them apart... :blush: .. and to think I used to be such a good cook at one time...:censored:

Back
Top Bottom