"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Callisto in North Carolina - Charlotte is it not? David, formerly from Hickory. Do learn to cook dried beans - black eyed peas are a southern speciality, especially with some ham hocks. Do you need an authentic southern recipe? Will send one if you like. Couldn't be simpler. Been thinking about you and hoping you are well. D
Thanks David. Send it over, I'd love to get as many recipes as I can.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Black Eyed Peas are Fergalicious.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef
What is Fergalicious?
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Head Chef
Thumbs up Authentic Hoppin' John

Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
What am I supposed to do with these short of "regifting" them to the food bank next weekend? I've never had them before and they came in our food box.
Hoppin’ John from “Spoonbread & Strawberry Wine” by Norma Jean & Carole Darden. Authentic family story from Slavery in North Carolina to their Professional successes.

Google search Spoonbread & Strawberry Wine and also Norma Jean Darden. Ok, here it is in my words, kinda.

Hoppin’ John (Black – Eyed Peas and Rice)

2 ham hocks
1 bay leaf
2 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups raw black-eyed peas
2 cups raw rice

Simmer ham hocks in a large pot with enough water to cover for about 30 minutes.
Add the bay leaf, chopped onions, the diced stalk of celery, the crushed red pepper and some salt and pepper.
Sort through your dried peas, rinse and add to the pot. Be sure peas are well covered with water.
Put the lid on the pot, simmer slowly until peas are tender – about 90 minutes. Check to adjust the water level if needed from time to time. You want to evaporate as much of the water as possible during this process. Low and Slow!

Cook the rice separately and steam dry.
When peas are ready, tender and water mostly evaporated, fluff up the rice and add to the peas. Adjust your seasoning and continue to cook over low heat until all the water is absorbed.

Too much water will make the rice gummy – not nice.
Norma and Carole suggest that you can reverse this addition process of rice to peas by draining the peas (save the cooking liquid), fluffing them up and adding them to the rice and then adding back a small amount of the cooking liquid. I try to get the pea cooking liquid down as close as I can so as not to lose this valuable broth!

You don’t want black-eyed pea soup or a dry falling apart dish either!

Here is a timeline link to the history of this dish as best can be determined.

Callisto, I know you have an aversion to meat of the pig but dear lady, in Hickory where I grew up and in the little village of Granite Falls “just up the road” we would have starved had it not been for black eyed peas and such refinements as “fat back”, “salt pork” and “lard”. Goodness me yes. But you know, my sisters and I can’t remember our mother ever serving pork chops. Now isn’t that strange.

David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote