"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Actually, Chef Sara Moulton says you don't have to measure the rice and water, just fill a 2-qt pot with water, bring to a boil and dump a cup of rice into it, and boil for 15-17 minutes or until rice is tender. Then you dump it like you would had you cooked pasta.
This is the traditional European way of cooking rice. I do it this way most of the time because it's easier. There's no measuring and you can take the pot off the stove at the exact moment of doneness, rather than waiting until the water has all been absorbed (at which point it may actually be overdone).

Back to the bean question. Soaking isn't mandatory, but it does help ensure that the beans soften completely through when they are cooked. If I'm planning ahead, I always soak them overnight. However, there have been times I've felt like making beans at the last minute and have cooked them without soaking. If you don't mind a little bit of firmness in the texture, it works fine.

I've heard the stories about soaking helping to reduce gas. I can vouch for the fact that it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. At least not for me. Beans, like many other nutritious foods, simply have a tendency to induce gas. Is that so bad, though? I would think that it's when your body stops producing gas you should worry.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Cook

Ok so then what does have to be cook with a specific ratio to come out correct or what the majorities preferences is.

In terms of beans , rices , split peas , lentils ,quinoa ,...etc

If you are saying rices doesn't need to be cooked with the ratio if you don't care about straying the water after and it will still tasted as good.
Then what about the other stuff Legume based foods.

What I am getting at is how flexible are you with the water ratio's provided you regulate the temperature and time in cooking? ( and don't mind straining when done)

The only thing that comes to mind is when cooking split peas I would imagine you would make the consistency much different if you used more water or less.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

The amount of water used to soak beans isn't important as long as they stay covered with water. Once you drain the beans and combine them with the other ingredients in a recipe, the amount of water does matter as it's full of the flavors from the beans and all the other ingredients in the pot. If you drain off the flavored water, you're taking flavor out of the finished recipe. The other option is to continue cooking to boil off excess water. In that case you are overcooking all the other ingredients resulting in a mushy mess.

So measure.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Cook

how about for the other Legume based foods any ratio's you must follow to come out alright?
Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
how about for the other Legume based foods any ratio's you must follow to come out alright?
If you're using a good recipe, follow it.

Tags
beans, other