ISO How Do You Like Your Grits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breezy,
My dad use to do this about 100 years ago when i was a kid. Served than with real maple syrup.

Ain't never had grits that I didn't like:)
My favorite though are savory grits, as in shrimp and grits with andoullie sausage gravy. Or just plain grits with tons O butter and pepper when I have an unfortunate leftover, err... hangover in the morning:rolleyes:
(sure does make your belly feel better).......

I love grits... polenta.... mush.... whatever you want to call it... :) savory, butter, cheese, garlic, country gravy, sausages, bacon,

Try making them with chicken stock sometime.... really tasty, tho not a breakfast dish that way.

I love some of these ideas!!! YUM!!! I have looked for grits... the real thing, but all I can seem to find is the instant stuff... what do I need to be looking for and where????

BreezyCooking said:
Sattie - "grits" are just regular "stone-ground cornmeal". Look for that.

Thanks!!! I hear folks talking about it all the time just never new what to look for!!!

BreezyCooking said:
Sattie - "grits" are just regular "stone-ground cornmeal". Look for that.

Ah..not to be disagreeable but stone ground meal (or any type of meal) and grits are two different animals..Both corn products..but not the same.

sattie said:
I love some of these ideas!!! YUM!!! I have looked for grits... the real thing, but all I can seem to find is the instant stuff... what do I need to be looking for and where????

Miss Sattie

Check out post # 9 in this thread. Look in your grocery store in the hot cerel section. Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, etc. Leave the "instant' stuff on the shelf!!

Oh Puh-leeze. Don't make "grits" yet another high fahlootin thing.

I buy plain stone-ground cornmeal all the time & use it for breakfast & savory grit dishes with nothing but accolades.

If you're going to be snobby about it Uncle Bob, at least agree that whatever snobbery you're suggesting isn't necessary in order to enjoy grits. Good grief.

Snobbery..SNOBBERY????

Please don't confuse snobbery with facts.

Cornmeal is NOT grits!
Grits is NOT cornmeal!
Cousins but NOT the same!

Plain and Simple Facts...No Snobbery intended!

Oh for heavens' sake Uncle Bob - lighten up & get down off your high horse!!

I've been making "GRITS", "CORNMEAL MUSH", & "POLENTA" from the same artisinal stone-ground corn meal for over 30 years.

Where, exactly, do you get off suddenly telling me that what I've been cooking, enjoying, & serving for all these years aren't "grits".

Please - give me a break.

So based on your (mis)information I can buy a box of Commercially packaged grits (or locally stone ground grits) and make cornbread? :ROFLMAO: That "lightens" me up for sure!:LOL:

Have a pleasant evening madam and my warmest regards!

CharlieD said:
Alix gritts is something your grandma used to call kasha. I bet you had some of that, have you?

GOTCHA! yep Charlie, had lots and lots of it and LOVE it.

EEK! To your corners Breezy and Uncle Bob!

I really don't think there was any snobbery intended here, Uncle Bob is famous for his tongue in cheek writing style.

Back
Top Bottom