ISO How Do You Like Your Grits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Regular yellow corn meal does not make grits it makes corn bread,johnny cakes and polenta which can be cooked soft like grits,grits are made from hominy it's white and is cooked to make a type of porridge and I have never heard of grits or hominy bread.

for a dinner item baked garlic cheese grits are awesome...a soufle really!

for breakfast I likethem natural with my fried eggs and sausage etc. I prefer them to most potato breakfast items.

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Sattie

Check out post # 9 in this thread. Look in your grocery store in the hot cerel section. Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, etc. Leave the "instant' stuff on the shelf!!

I have looked there (cereal section) in every store I go to, all I find is the instant stuff by that Quaker dude. I really want to see/experience the difference between instant and the real deal because I am quite sure all I have ever had is instant!!! :wacko:

Regular grits have the germ removed, stone ground grits do not, which is why mudbug thinks she's chewing soggy popcorn :LOL:. Mudbug - you just like a finer grind. They have a much clumpier/more course texture. I do believe that is what Uncle Bob was referring to.....maybe?

Grits are a coarser grind of white cornmeal while cornmeal for cornbread is a finer grind.

Sattie - don't confuse instant grits and the quick cooking grits. You will enjoy the quick cooking grits just fine. Instant grits have a preservative type taste and the quick cooking just doesn't take much longer = we're talking 10 minutes here.

Uncle Bob said:
Hominy Grits are a gift to us from the American Indians. Hominy is dried white or yellow corn (maize) kernels from which the hull and germ have been removed. This can be done mechanically or chemically by soaking in lye water. Today mechanical removal is the method of choice. When the hominy is ground it is called hominy grits.
99% of what you see in modern grocery stores is Hominy Grits. Quaker “Quick” grits say ready in 5 minutes.:ermm: 20 to 30 minutes is better!

Stone ground grits (my favorite and simply stated) are made from grinding whole corn kernels which is sifted extracting meal etc. The tiny particles that are two large to go into the meal are grits. These grits contain the “germ” of the corn. Which in IMHO give them a better (corn) flavor and are more nutritious. They are generally simmered with milk and/or water until very creamy, smooth and thick. In my part of the world they are primary served with a plethora of breakfast foods. Served with butter, red-eye gravy etc. Grits can be chilled, cut into squares and fried in butter. Sometimes cheese is added. Shrimp and grits is a fantastic and delicious dish from the Carolinas. Yum! Stone ground may be hard to find outside of the south but can be ordered over the Internet.

Instant grits are pre-cooked and dried for packaging. They cook very quickly and are not fit for human consumption.:yuk: Trust me Ok?:LOL:

GRITS - A celebration of Southern cooking and kitchen traditions This link describes the method to produce "stone ground grits"

Good Hominy Grits This one explains "hominy grits'

Hope this helps! And I betcha can't eat just one! Ha!

Last edited:
Alix grits are simular to Cream of Wheat or Ralston when first cooked, except that it tastes like corn, if you let it cool it will harden like what you make for your father. I hope that clears it up a little for you.

Grits are OK!!

I have had grits once and they were pretty darn good. A friend of mine bought shrimp and grits to a potluck/party. It would eat them again, if I had the chance. Someone else bought collard greens to the same potluck and I cannot say that I liked them.

Back
Top Bottom