"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO How Do You Like Your Grits?

I have always enjoyed a side of grits with meat drippings poured over them. I have found a lot of casseroles with grits, cheese & sausages.

How do you serve grits?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Everymom

Never had grits. Can you describe them for me?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I like them cooked creamy with butter - sometimes with cheese. I've had them other ways, but these are my favorites. Many places in the south serve grits with fish or different types of seafood, but I'm not crazy about that. I'd rather have potatoes with fish or seafood.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

Grits are similar to polenta in your area of the world.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Everymom

Thank you. I don't have polenta much either. I make what my dad called (and forgive my spelling) koolasha with cornmeal to make a cakelike thing that we serve with stew. Mmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix - you will be receiving some in the mail!

I like a little cheese, butter, and garlic in mine.

The meat gravy and grits is certainly a marriage made in heaven!

Puree some roasted red peppers (and garlic, s & p, a tiny bit of old bay and some lemon juice) and incorporate those into the grits - serve with seafood.

I love a poached egg placed on top of a stiffer mix of grits. Stone ground if I can ever mind them are my favorite.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I like my grits left in it's box I'm afraid. I want to like them but I just can't.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hominy Grits are a gift to us from the American Indians. Hominy is dried white or yellow corn (maize) kernels from which the hull and germ have been removed. This can be done mechanically or chemically by soaking in lye water. Today mechanical removal is the method of choice. When the hominy is ground it is called hominy grits.
99% of what you see in modern grocery stores is Hominy Grits. Quaker “Quick” grits say ready in 5 minutes. 20 to 30 minutes is better!

Stone ground grits (my favorite and simply stated) are made from grinding whole corn kernels which is sifted extracting meal etc. The tiny particles that are two large to go into the meal are grits. These grits contain the “germ” of the corn. Which in IMHO give them a better (corn) flavor and are more nutritious. They are generally simmered with milk and/or water until very creamy, smooth and thick. In my part of the world they are primary served with a plethora of breakfast foods. Served with butter, red-eye gravy etc. Grits can be chilled, cut into squares and fried in butter. Sometimes cheese is added. Shrimp and grits is a fantastic and delicious dish from the Carolinas. Yum! Stone ground may be hard to find outside of the south but can be ordered over the Internet.

Instant grits are pre-cooked and dried for packaging. They cook very quickly and are not fit for human consumption. Trust me Ok?

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Instant grits are pre-cooked and dried for packaging. They cook very quickly and are not fit for human consumption. Trust me Ok?

There are always coupons for the Instant Grits so it is good to know where to put the coupon! (Round File )

Tags
None