ISO: ideas for spelt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I picked up a package of spelt at Trader Joe's and want to give it a try. I have just one recipe right now, but not sure if I want to go that way or try something else. What I have is to saute the spelt in evoo, then to gradually add hot broth a cup at a time til I've used a total of 4 cups. Then to add salt,butter and fresh grated parmesan and serve..Anyone have any other ideas they would like to share?

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
I picked up a package of spelt at Trader Joe's and want to give it a try. I have just one recipe right now, but not sure if I want to go that way or try something else. What I have is to saute the spelt in evoo, then to gradually add hot broth a cup at a time til I've used a total of 4 cups. Then to add salt,butter and fresh grated parmesan and serve..Anyone have any other ideas they would like to share?

kadesma:)
Obviously not by the looks of it, I've tried spelt bread, dreadful stuff, that heavy you could build houses with it.

attie said:
Obviously not by the looks of it, I've tried spelt bread, dreadful stuff, that heavy you could build houses with it.
OH boy somewhat like the cakes I use to make..DH, said they would make great doorstops:LOL:

kadesma

I just did some reading on spelt. I've never used it, but it looks like you can use it interchangeably with wheat. So, you could grind it and try the resulting flour as bread, pasta etc.

I think I would maybe use it as one of the grains in the filling for cabbage rolls. I think it would give a nice texture to it.

Spelt has had a bit of publicity here in the past as being "the origional wheat" and therefore "a good thing". I just haven't worked out what it's good for yet, perhaps the pasta trick would be good but don't try making a sponge cake with it:)

Spelt is also called Farro and is eaten a lot in Italy and other European countries.

If you google "Farro recipes" I'm sure you'll get more ideas.

I make soup with it.

jennyema said:
Spelt is also called Farro and is eaten a lot in Italy and other European countries.

If you google "Farro recipes" I'm sure you'll get more ideas.

I make soup with it.
Thanks Jenny, the recipe I do have resembles the making of rissoto and I wondered what if anything else I could do with it. I'll look up farro on the net and see. Thanks.
kadesma

Alix said:
I just did some reading on spelt. I've never used it, but it looks like you can use it interchangeably with wheat. So, you could grind it and try the resulting flour as bread, pasta etc.

I think I would maybe use it as one of the grains in the filling for cabbage rolls. I think it would give a nice texture to it.
Thanks Alix,
the ideas here have given me some ideas and I'm sure I'll end up loving the stuff or banning it from the house forever:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom