"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #21
Executive Chef

ricotta is not really a cheese, it is a cheese by product, like cottage cheese. It will not get gooey when heated...it will separate into tiny curds and thin watery whey. To make it custardy you add eggs. Prevents the separation. Does this mean that all recipes go this route? not at all. but if you are using veggies with some water content...ie mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, etc, it is a real good idea to use the eggs to avoid a watery fall apart product.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #22
Senior Cook

It's totally nasty without the egg. It's grainy and just foul. I cannot eat it that way. That's why I never liked my mom's lasagne.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

I came browsing through this topic, as I was about to start one similar to it. My mother told me not to add the egg because it makes it taste disgusting. I always liked the cheese filling of hers - she actually makes stuffed shells. While making it, you can easily eat the cheese mixture right out of the bowl; it's super good. She makes a mixture of mozarella, ricotta and parmesan. Speaking of which, many recipes call for these layers to be separate, for instance to have a ricotta layer and then a mozarella/parmesan layer on top of it. Is there any advantage to doing it this way? Again, I loved my mom's cheese mixture but a.) I like to try new things and b.) I don't know how well it well transfer from stuffed shells to lasagna. I'm trying to put together a really tasty veggie lasagna as a low cal dinner I can make on Sunday then reheat other nights of the week (I'm a working gal.) I can use reduced fat mozarella and stuff, it doesn't taste much different than regular. Any suggestions, as usual, are welcome.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi rebam - I use the same mixture I use for manicotti or stuffed shells in my lasagna. I think it will transfer quite nicely and no, I do not separate the cheeses either - I mix everything together.

I don't think this mixture is nasty without the egg nor do I think it's nasty with the egg - I've just always added the egg as that is what the very first recipe called for when I made manicotti. I guess I'll just have to experiment and make 1/2 my shells with an egg and 1/2 without to see the difference.

There's all sorts of recipes. None or right and none are wrong. They're just individual - like the people who make them.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #25
Master Chef

I've never used eggs, but can see the point in a veggie lasagna. Veggies really have a tendency to get watery, so if you aren't using pasta, you can wind up with a watery mess. I'd consider salting and draining your eggplant or squash. Make sure you really wring out that spinach.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #26
Cook

The way I viewed the eggs mixed with the ricotta is that the egg doesn't do to much to flavor but it just helps give the ricotta a different consistency. It might also act a binding agent and help hold things together.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

have tried once with egg, that shall be my last ...

http://www.101cookingrecipes.com
http://www.desserts-recipes.co
Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

An egg user here. Never without but 6 for the 2# is more than I use. That would be maybe 4 eggs.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I always add egg - I think I tried it once and the consistency wasn't as creamy, maybe more dry, I can't really remember exactly, I just remember that from that point on I used egg.
I agree, I think it keeps it moist.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I've tried it both ways and we couldn't tell the difference so I don't anymore.

Tags
None