ISO Lasagna: To egg or not to egg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ricotta is not really a cheese, it is a cheese by product, like cottage cheese. It will not get gooey when heated...it will separate into tiny curds and thin watery whey. To make it custardy you add eggs. Prevents the separation. Does this mean that all recipes go this route? not at all. but if you are using veggies with some water content...ie mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, etc, it is a real good idea to use the eggs to avoid a watery fall apart product.

It's totally nasty without the egg. It's grainy and just foul. I cannot eat it that way. That's why I never liked my mom's lasagne.

I came browsing through this topic, as I was about to start one similar to it. My mother told me not to add the egg because it makes it taste disgusting. I always liked the cheese filling of hers - she actually makes stuffed shells. While making it, you can easily eat the cheese mixture right out of the bowl; it's super good. She makes a mixture of mozarella, ricotta and parmesan. Speaking of which, many recipes call for these layers to be separate, for instance to have a ricotta layer and then a mozarella/parmesan layer on top of it. Is there any advantage to doing it this way? Again, I loved my mom's cheese mixture but a.) I like to try new things and b.) I don't know how well it well transfer from stuffed shells to lasagna. I'm trying to put together a really tasty veggie lasagna as a low cal dinner I can make on Sunday then reheat other nights of the week (I'm a working gal.) I can use reduced fat mozarella and stuff, it doesn't taste much different than regular. Any suggestions, as usual, are welcome.

Hi rebam - I use the same mixture I use for manicotti or stuffed shells in my lasagna. I think it will transfer quite nicely and no, I do not separate the cheeses either - I mix everything together.

I don't think this mixture is nasty without the egg nor do I think it's nasty with the egg - I've just always added the egg as that is what the very first recipe called for when I made manicotti. I guess I'll just have to experiment and make 1/2 my shells with an egg and 1/2 without to see the difference.

There's all sorts of recipes. None or right and none are wrong. They're just individual - like the people who make them.

I've never used eggs, but can see the point in a veggie lasagna. Veggies really have a tendency to get watery, so if you aren't using pasta, you can wind up with a watery mess. I'd consider salting and draining your eggplant or squash. Make sure you really wring out that spinach.

The way I viewed the eggs mixed with the ricotta is that the egg doesn't do to much to flavor but it just helps give the ricotta a different consistency. It might also act a binding agent and help hold things together.

An egg user here. Never without but 6 for the 2# is more than I use. That would be maybe 4 eggs.

Michelemarie said:
I always add egg - I think I tried it once and the consistency wasn't as creamy, maybe more dry, I can't really remember exactly, I just remember that from that point on I used egg.

I agree, I think it keeps it moist.

i just stumbled across this web site when i typed "why eggs in lasagna" into google. actually i am going to make manicotti. what a variety of comments on this subject. i usually don't use eggs b/c i find it faster to mix the ingredients together, heat on the stove, stuff into the shells and then just stick in the oven to melt the cheese on top. but i like the comment from kitchenelf about trying half with and half without to see the difference side by side.

I've always added eggs....usually one per pound of ricotta. I find it keeps the ricotta from weeping.

Corrrrrr...I feel thoroughly ignorant now:ermm: When I make it, which isn't that often, I've just done it and looked forward to eating it! ( eggless) maybe I better just stay ignorant...you know the saying " ignorance is bliss":)

I use 1 cup each, ricotta, grated parmigiano, and shredded mozzarella, and 1 egg, for both my lasagna, my canelloni, and my Melagnon a la Sicilian fillings. I've been doing it that way for thirty years or so, no one has ever complained, and AFAIK, everyone who has eaten it is still alive

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom