"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO Lasagna: To egg or not to egg

Hi all :)

I have been pondering this for a few days, and I want to know your opinions. I have been making all kinds of lasagnas for ages, and when it comes to my basic italian lasagna, I always add 1 or 2 eggs, (along with parsley, other cheeses and seasonings, AND depending on how many lbs of ricotta used) to the ricotta mixture. I've recently come across several recipes where eggs are not added, and I was wondering if anyone out there prefers the ricotta layer minus the eggs because maybe they find it creamier and a better choice, as eggs serve as a binder and solidify it a tad (???).

Lisa110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

lisa, i've never added eggs to my lasagna. i'm not sure why you need to bind the cheese layers as it is baked like a casserole, so nothing comes out the sides. i'll have to try that sometime to see if it makes a textural difference.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I've always added an egg to my mixture, though I think it would be fine without it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i always add an egg to the ricotta cheese because that's what everybody else in my family did. i never knew it was optional lol.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I always add egg - I think I tried it once and the consistency wasn't as creamy, maybe more dry, I can't really remember exactly, I just remember that from that point on I used egg.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I always add 1 egg in the ricotta mixture
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
If I've got eggs in the fridge I'll usually add one or two. I've also just used egg whites whiched worked well too, both do seem to help bind the cheese a little better (especially true if you're using cottage cheese instead of ricotta).

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I just spoke to my italian chef pal, who had been away for about a month, and he said using eggs is better because, believe it or not, it actually makes it creamier (quite the opposite of what I thought!), and it holds it's shape for presentation (that perfect square), instead of oozing out in a liquidy way, as the cheese separates a little without the eggs. He said the eggs make a much much smoother consistency, and sometimes he uses 6 eggs to 2 lbs of ricotta! Hmmm..interesting. I was thinking of making two small test lasagnas and having my family and friends decide which they prefer. :)
Lisa110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well, personally I never used eggs in my lasagne, except for adding it to the pasta sheet when I make it by myself. However lasagne is one of those recipes where there is no definitive method, one of those recipes where each and every household has their own recipe which each of them consider it to be "truly authentic and the best". So if yours works and tastes good with eggs, that would be great!! Maybe I will try that someday myself!!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa110
I just spoke to my italian chef pal, who had been away for about a month, and he said using eggs is better because, believe it or not, it actually makes it creamier (quite the opposite of what I thought!), and it holds it's shape for presentation (that perfect square), instead of oozing out in a liquidy way, as the cheese separates a little without the eggs. He said the eggs make a much much smoother consistency, and sometimes he uses 6 eggs to 2 lbs of ricotta! Hmmm..interesting. I was thinking of making two small test lasagnas and having my family and friends decide which they prefer. :)
I usually, not always, add an egg to the ricotta/cheese mixture. Both ways taste good to me - w or w/o. IMO, 6 eggs to 2 lbs of riccota sounds like waaay too much. Then, again, I add a few cheeses to the mixture, sometimes mushrooms and garlic in addition to herbs, as well. It is probably a matter of taste. Perhaps the egg(s) give it a puffier texture, and the whites bind it together, IMO.

Tags
None