"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

a hint of advice

leftover rice is potentially hazardous if it's not cooled properly. Please don't put the hot rice into a bowl and set it in the fridge, covered. Instead, spread it out on a baking sheet so the cool air hits the most space. You've got to cool it quickly, within two hours, (for it to be safe for another consumption)and that won't happen if you leave it in a bowl.

You've got the first ingredient for fried rice, now...all you need is some chopped vegetables, ginger, soy sauce and some brown sugar.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
Master Chef

What great ideas! I always make fried rice (hubby's favorite).

WE all like food stories here, so I'll tell on some of you may have already read.

There I was, in Hawaii, at an old beach house a group of us had rented. One of the group was actually Hawaiian (i.e., she had lived there all her life. Ethnically she was the mix that most Hawaiians are -- many Asian drops of blood and a few drops of Polynesian). She had a chip on her shoulder, and didn't like haoles. It was the last morning, and the fridge was full of the mixture of foods you get in Hawaii (how I miss that!). I looked at it all and said we are having fried rice for breakfast. The woman went home to empty her rice cooker (for those of you who never have lived there, every home has a rice cooker that is filled every day before work) and then she sat and watched me. She and her children declared me OK and we were friends after that. Claire's OK, not just because she did it right, but because she thinks fried rice is a breakfast food (hey, it is. It generally has pork and eggs in it, right?) I've told this story here before. The only thing Angie told me to change from my way of making fried rice was to pour some cooking oil into the leftover rice and toss it before starting to fry. Oh, and that it really should have had oyster sauce in it, but she excused me that because I was dealing with the ingredients that were in the fridge.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:17 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

eidted: oops! didn't see mish's earlier post.

there's a gastronomic delight sold in pizza places around here called a rice ball, aka arancini, or arancini di riso. i think it's originally a sicillian dish made with leftover risotto, but i've seen them made with white rice as well.

it is literally just what it's name infers (no, it's not from male rice ): rice, mixed with herbs, cheeses, egg yolks, meat, and it is rolled into a ball. it is then dipped in eggwhites, covered in italian bread crumbs and deep or pan fried, and served covered in tomato sauce.

i'm not partial to them, but some of the guys at work love 'em.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 AM   #14
Sous Chef

What a wonderful thread this is!!! Other than Fried Rice and Rice Balls, I normally do a 'clean the fridge' rice salad with leftovers.

Most times I'm just happy having a breakfast of heated l/o rice with some Sweet Chile sauce over it.....

Tags
None