"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO Leftover rice ideas

I have some leftover steamed white rice...what is some simple throw in ideas? I usually put butter, salt and cheese on it but I want something different. I love to add ground beef and spag sauce to rice as well...

Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
Cook

Left over steamed white rice makes excellent chinese fried rice. Saute 4-5 slices of bacon in a pan till cooked, add mixed veggies, bean sprouts, snow peas, peppers and saute for a couple more minutes.
Add rice, stir fry and season with soya sauce and hot sauce and voila, fried rice.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
I have some leftover steamed white rice...what is some simple throw in ideas? I usually put butter, salt and cheese on it but I want something different. I love to add ground beef and spag sauce to rice as well...
Angie, my mother in law use to make a torta with white rice. This is an about idea tho..one cup cooked rice, 1/4c. evoo,salt, pepper,1 tea. garlic powder, 2-tab. chopped fresh parsley, 1/2-c or more fresh grated parmesan, 8-12 eggs. mix altogether, put into baking pan bottom covered with evoo, then make small indentations here and there and put in a little butter, smooth over so butter is hidden, and bake til well set and top is a light brown. Not sure what size pan to tell you, but we don't like a thick torta, we want it about 1/4-1/2 inch thick and the edges slightly crispy.
I will sometimes make tiny little meatballs about the size of a dime, bake or pan fry them, then add to a spanish style sauce, peppers,onions,garlic,cumin,butter, add meat balls warm through and put over rice. Easy just a pain making the tiny meatballs, but the kids love em.
kadesma
Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yummm....thanks to both of you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

Can make a quick version of moros y cristianos (Cuban black beans and rice).

Sweat some onions, add some red or green pepper if you wish.

Then toss in the rice and canned black bean soup, or just canned black beans, being careful about the amount of liquid. You have to adjuxt this by feel, this is a recipe we do by the seats of our pants.

If you want to add some tomato sauce or paste it will work, although generally prefer the dish without it. But this is your dish, not mine.

Some cumin, maybe a bit of garlic, perhaps oregano, your choice.

If you have a bit of pork available can always add some diced, or some ground beef.

Just an idea.

Edited to say a splash of hot sauce never hurt almost any dish.

Enjoy.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Try Lucktrim's recipe for Zippy Rice posted on this site. Also, why not make some rice pudding with raisins and/or other dried fruit. The rice torta and the fried rice sound great. I use leftover rice in zucchini frittata, too!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
Master Chef

You can use it as a crust for a quiche. Just press the cold rice into the dish and up the sides.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I always save my left over rice for the next morning for my fave. breakfast dish, rice and eggs
here is what I do, I take the rice 1 cup if its just me.add butter and rice
to a frying pan, use about 2-3 eggs scramble them up with the rice.
salt and pepper to taste...
for a yummier variance you can add crumbled cooked sausage or bacon to the mixture...
Old 06-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
Executive Chef

You could make chinese fried rice or make stir fry and put on heated leftover rice
Old 06-17-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Arancini is a delicious appy. Some are made with risotto. Here's an easy one for leftover rice.

Mix together about 1 cup cooked rice, chopped proscuitto, beaten egg, dash of oregano and basil, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Shape mixture into balls and roll in breadcrumbs. Fry in oil in a shallow pan. Another method is to cut the mozzarella in cubes, make an indentation in the rice balls, insert a mozzarella cube and cover the balls with the rice mixture.

Here is an idea for a Greek-Style rice salad:

http://donnafales.com/recipes/2005/07/24/

Tags
None